Rescuing a Mac

Reaction score
Hey guys a co worker of mine, dad found a macbook at an airport some where in texas not sure, well they brought it to me to try to see if i couldnt get into it so I can find the owner and hopefully send it back to them. It ask for a login when it boots up is there any way to get info or get into the mac so i can try to find some info and get this back to the guy. Or could I call mac support and read them the serial numbers and maybe they might know who it belongs to

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's mine. PM me and I'll give you the address to send it.

Give Apple a call. I believe they take down your info and send that to the registered owner.

OP
LogicBox
Reaction score
ya Im still talking with apple right now, they wanted me to contact my local law enforcement and say I had found it, she said they had some info that pulled up and I was like well if you guys have info on it cant I just send it to yall then yall send it to him or you guys try to contact him/her and let them know, and then find out from him what he wants to do? Im on hold still right now. Im just trying to be a good person here, and return this, I would hope someone would do the same you know. I just figure if I can send it to apple and they can send it back to him directly.

Well just got off the phone with apple they are going to give them my info and hopefully they will call me so we can figure out what to do. Im just hoping giving them my cell does bite me in the *** later hahaha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Well, let's face it - if you really wanted to take his gear and run, you wouldn't have made the effort to call Apple to try to arrange to return it to the rightful owner. The owner may be defensive thinking you tried to steal it, or the owner may just be happy knowing that a decent person located their lost laptop and took time out of their day to return it.

OP
LogicBox
Reaction score
Well, I found the owner they just called me, Its actually a school districts laptop I believe the Superintendent just called me, said she just got a call from apple. she verify'd the serial number with me and said she was going to call the I.T. Director and have him verify the serial and then call me back. I'm just glad I can get it back to them. I mean ya I could have ripped out the hdd and formated it, but you know if that was my mac I would want someone to do the same :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Whoever lost it was probably freaking out that they'd have to pay the school back for it too.

Or the parents of said individual.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
Very nice of you to try and get it back to him/her!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Yay a slightly happy ending?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
glad to know there are still some good people in this world. . .

OP
LogicBox
Reaction score
Well I got it back to them. They told me it had been missing since last spring or was unaccounted for.. But its now returned to the proper place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Wow, that long? So somebody must have stolen it, left it at the airport, and then you found it. Impressive. Good work, LogicBox, and you can totally expect some rep for me. Good to know people like you exist. Did they give you a cash reward? If not, I'd be slightly disappointed. They should at least have taken you out to dinner haha.

OP
LogicBox
Reaction score
HAHA no reward from them or anything, who knows maybe something in the future, but I am just glad to get it to its home. And I really want to thank the apple support lady for helping me with this also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Core2 Duo 4Gb Ram / Powermac G5 2 TB RAID , 16GB Ram Running Leopard
Wish you would have found the MP 3 player I lost a few years ago. Kudos to you for being so good .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.