Renaming Music Files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro - 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4Gb DDR3 RAM - 320Gb HD 7200rpm
Hey all,

I did a quick search but couldn't find anything on the topic.

I am pretty anal about my music collection, and I have a certain way to name all of my files.

Band - Album - Track # - Song Title.mp3

eg. Pink Floyd - Animals - 01 - Pigs On The Wing (Part 1).mp3

A lot of the downloads I get have different naming conventions, Track # - Song Title.mp3, etc.

I've been changing these manually for all of my 7500+ songs, and now that I've switched to mac, I'm sure there has got to be an easier way.

I'm positive I've heard/read something about a program that automatically renames your music files for you (not iTunes, I don't like it's sorting method), but I can't remember.

Any help?

OH, and a newbie question - I like having all my folders within another folder listed alphabetically at the top of the window, not scattered within the folder... any setting I could use o ensure that all the folders are at the top?

Thanks so much!!!

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
OH, and a newbie question - I like having all my folders within another folder listed alphabetically at the top of the window, not scattered within the folder... any setting I could use o ensure that all the folders are at the top?

Thanks so much!!!

Ian

Can help with this question..

Go into the folder/file you want and press cmd>j and then you can change how they are organised. In Arrange By you will have ..... Last modified, last created, name, size, label and kind. If you check Name they will be sorted in the folder alphabetically.

Cheers

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can help with this question..

Go into the folder/file you want and press cmd>j and then you can change how they are organised. In Arrange By you will have ..... Last modified, last created, name, size, label and kind. If you check Name they will be sorted in the folder alphabetically.

Cheers

hey, thanks for your reply, but not exactly what I was looking for. Is there a way to sort by type AND name, so that all of the folders will be at the top of the screen followed by the rest of the files?

Example...

I have a "Downloads" Folder that has 6 folders in it. and about 30 other files at any given time.

I want the folders to aways be at the top of the window, and the rest of the files to be underneath them. If I sort by type, the folders are grouped together, but not always at the top. If I sort by name, all the files in the window are alphabetical, but the folders get split up by name as well.

I hope that makes sense.

Like I said before, thank you for trying to help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.