Backin-up & reinstalling OS X 10.6 AND Win7 - Questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP - Core i7 @ 2.66ghz
Okay, so i am in need of installing windows on my computer so that i can use MS Visual Studio for one my classes. My problem is that when trying to partition my current HDD, i get the error seen in the attached picture; something about 'some files cannot be moved.'

So considering i have an external HDD, and i recently use time machine, i was just gonna reformat the drive, and load my back-up, and then try to use bootcamp again.

Will this work, or is there a different approach that i should use.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If you just need Visual Studio, I would highly recommend skipping Boot Camp entirely and using a virtualization product like VMWare Fusion, Parallels Desktop or VirtualBox (free). This way, you can run both OSes simultaneously and not have to fuss with partitioning and the issues associated with it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you just need Visual Studio, I would highly recommend skipping Boot Camp entirely and using a virtualization product like VMWare Fusion, Parallels Desktop or VirtualBox (free). This way, you can run both OSes simultaneously and not have to fuss with partitioning and the issues associated with it.

I would definitely consider doing this, but is it easy to do/hassel free??

I mean, i have a free version of Windows 7 that i got through my University. I just want something that is going to be stable, easy to use, and won't cause any limitations further than what i have at the moment.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Absolutely. I can't speak to the virtues of VirtualBox as I don't use it. But VMWare Fusion and Parallels make it brain dead simple to install and run Windows. It's the best way to go as long as you don't need to play high-end games that require extensive 3D acceleration.

I recommend VMWare Fusion over Parallels. I think you can pick it up for about $79 - there's also a free 90 day trial. Not sure if VirtualBox supports Windows 7 yet, but that product is free.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now that i think about about, i would like to have the ability to play some of my games like Call of Duty. Not to mention i need to have Visual Studio ASAP and i don't have $80 to drop right now.

So back to the first option, is this the appropriate route that i should take??

Reaction score
VirtualBox is free. Sun Microsystems

Also, you can download trial versions of both Fusion and Parallels for 30 days.

Much simpler than boot camping in my opinion.

Give it a try. Won't cost you a penny to do that.

Cheers

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VirtualBox is free. Sun Microsystems

Also, you can download trial versions of both Fusion and Parallels for 30 days.

Much simpler than boot camping in my opinion.

Give it a try. Won't cost you a penny to do that.

Cheers

I appreciate the advice, but i really need a permanent solution, not a trial version or anything. I agree that using those programs would be simpler but i'm just going to stick with Bootcamp.

That said, can anyone tell me if I'm going about this the right way? (See orginal post) i.e., By making a back-up of my current HDD, reformatting my HDD, and then apply my back-up. Are these the right steps to be able to partition my HDD for windows?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I appreciate the advice, but i really need a permanent solution, not a trial version or anything. I agree that using those programs would be simpler but i'm just going to stick with Bootcamp.

That said, can anyone tell me if I'm going about this the right way? (See orginal post) i.e., By making a back-up of my current HDD, reformatting my HDD, and then apply my back-up. Are these the right steps to be able to partition my HDD for windows?

You probably don't have to go that far. First off, run a Verify & Repair Disk in Disk Utility, then run a Verify & Repair Permissions.

Disable all Login Items in System Preferences => Accounts => Your Account => Login Items. Cold boot the machine. Do not open *any* applications, go immediately to Boot Camp Assistant and attempt to partition again. See if that corrects it for you.

If that doesn't work, I would use SuperDuper! to do a full clone of your system to the external. Once finished, boot from the external (by holding down the Option key at startup). Erase the Macintosh HD drive. Then, backup the external (again using SuperDuper!) to Macintosh HD. That should definitely correct the issue.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks cwa, the verifying and repairing the HDD worked the first time.

All is well.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
I find VMware far better than Virtualbox. Its faster too. Even if its free, I think its not worth it to run windows via a VM. Running windows natively is the best way. And since you are going to play the games you listed, that's the only route you have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.