duo vs quad

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase my first mac...YEAH!! My question is, what benefit would the quad core give me over the duo core? I am a graphics artist for the screen printing and embroidery industry. I use Corel Draw, as well as AI. Generally, I will have at least 4 to 5 windows open at any given time on my current pc - which doesn't help its performance very much. If the quad core is the way to go...does anyone know the availabilty date of it yet, besides "november".
BTW, I will be installing windows on the new mac.
Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'll try to answer your question in a different way...is the $300-$500 dollar up-charge for the quad-core a "big deal" or "no big deal"?

If no big deal...just get the quad core. Even if you don't need it now...it may come in handy in the future.

Plus you cannot upgrade later (dual core to quad core)...so you pretty much have to decide now.

As far as availability...it still seems to be a bit undetermined at this point. Someone else on the forum ordered one...and doesn't have an exact delivery date:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/174280-what-do-until-arrives.html

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
The upcharge isn't an issue. I never thought about the lack of upgrading. I think I will wait for the quad...hopefully my anxious nature won't get the best of me!!!
Thanks for your suggestions..I am sure I will have many new questions once I finally receive my mac!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Apple thanks you for your business, but shakes their head at you for not making use of their wonderful OS.

Anyway, the dual 3.06 will definitely work very well for you and do what you need to do, but as our friends here have pointed out.... quad core is quad core, man. That's always sweet. :) You going with the i5 or i7 variant?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You know...

Before I picked up my macbook pro I was trying to decide between this or a PC....which so far are the only ones that feature a quad core or i7 for laptops. Of course there's a reason apple hasn't introduced it just yet to notebooks....heat...size...etc

Anyway...

I run a lot of applications at one time..literally about 5-10 at one time. In fact I have 7 open right now as I write this. That includes dreamweaver, iphoto and Photoshop. I have ZERO problems or speed issues at the moment. Haven't run into any yet. I was so concerned that I would need more power out of a processor than a core 2 duo could deliver, but so far it seems that the core 2 is just right for me. I have the 2.8ghz not even the 3.06.

Don't forget that people got along just fine with core 2 before the i7 was ever even offered. In fact people for the most part got along great. This WITH heavy tasking, applications and many professional applications.

BUT...

All that being said...if mac did offer (or when they eventually do) offer quad core's on their notebooks, you can bet that I will jump on it...well in a while from now anyway just picked up this baby. You will notice a performance different IF...and stress IF you're tasking the system heavily enough. Otherwise there's isn't going to be too much of a difference that you'll be noticing in my honest opinion.

If you have the cash, and it's not a problem for you to pay the prem. then I say go all out and get the i7. That would be one SWEET machine! :)

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.