To route-er not to rout

D

damontgo

Lame title... anyways, I've got a problem. Semester will be over soon at IU, but I'm remaining in town to take summer class. The place I'm getting is literally across the street from some dorms, and well within the campus's wireless network. My dilemma- should I spring for airport for my iMac800? Or should I get a router, sp I'll be able to play my xBox as well?

I could go for a router, be able to use xBox and iMac all summer long, but then I'll have to buy an internet subscrip. for three months.

If I go with Airport, my internet will be hella slow, b/c IU wireless forces you to connect and authenticate via VPN. No xBox, but no internet subscrip, either. Also, when I move back into the dorms, I'll only have one ethernet jack b/w my xBox and Mac, so I'd have to sign offline if I don't get the router, unless I have airport.

I guess my question is, what are some good routers, and if I DO decide to get Airport, can I remove it and put it into my next Mac system when I decide to retire the 800?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
get an airport and a wireless adapter for you xbox, the connection might be slow on your mac but wont make much difference on your xbox because the games will be optimised for about 512k BB so anything above that would be a bonus.

Also this solves the problem of one jack when you move back into a dorm :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.