Trying to install network printer. Need Help!

M

mojo17

I am trying to install a HP Color LJ 1500 that is networked. I have installed other network printers without issue, but those drivers were already listed in the drop down choices. I have installed the driver from HP, but it does not show up in the list of choices. How do I get the driver to list in the printer choices?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
what computer is the printer connected to? have you turned on appletalk on the one you're trying to install on?

OP
M

mojo17

Macman said:
what computer is the printer connected to? have you turned on appletalk on the one you're trying to install on?

The printer is installed on a Windows 2003 Server. The others I have setup are attached to the same server via a Jet Direct card. I enter the IP address for the print server and choose the printer model and bam it works. However, the difference is the driver does not show up in my choices for printers to install as the other older printers do. Therefore, I downloaded the OSX driver from HP and installed it, but it still does not show up in the list. Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
when trying to add the printer, what are you choosing as the connection type? usb, windows printing, shared ip printing, etc. also, do you have the firewall on in os x?

OP
T

Tom in AZ

I too am having problems with printing on my network. I can share files from my XP Home machine to the G4 and vice versa. The two printers are connected to standard XP Home PCs. I heard that there is a problem in trying to print to a windows PC unless it is a Server or Profesional package. I find that to be a little hard to believe, personally. Should we be tring to install some type of appletalk or CUPS(linux) protocol on the XP machine? Also, is there any advantage to using "PC MacLan"? BTW my PCs all print fine on the network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tom in AZ said:
I too am having problems with printing on my network. I can share files from my XP Home machine to the G4 and vice versa. The two printers are connected to standard XP Home PCs. I heard that there is a problem in trying to print to a windows PC unless it is a Server or Profesional package. I find that to be a little hard to believe, personally. Should we be tring to install some type of appletalk or CUPS(linux) protocol on the XP machine? Also, is there any advantage to using "PC MacLan"? BTW my PCs all print fine on the network.
to turn on appletalk, go into system preferences>network>double click your connection>appletalk tab>make appletalk active. I have never heard of xp having to be server or pro package. does your printer show up in the list of printers? is it mac os x compatible?

OP
T

Tom in AZ

Yup Apple talk is enabled, and as per the HP website, there are a set of drivers for Mac OS 8,9, and X. I did install the OS X drivers onto the laptop as well. Even after installing the Mac drivers it didn't appear in my drop down list to choose the actuall driver in the HP section. So I set it up as a General Post Scrip Printer. When I try to print I get this error on the G4: Unable to connect to Samba Host, will retry in 60 seconds...ERROR: Connection failed with error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
have you tried gimp print? also, what are you selecting as the printer type? have you tried windows printing?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.