Belkin 54g wireless router blocking MSN messenger ports

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, 8gb ram, iPhone 4
Hi

I recently swapped my wired router for a belkin 54g wireless router, the internet itself works fine, however the router seams to be blocking all access from any of my IM apps like MSN (v7.01) and Adium. Skype seams to work, however.

I assume, that the router is blocking the ports so i logged into the router through firefox using its I.P address, and under firewall (which is enabled) there is a "virtual servers" page, where it has the ports for MSN built in, so i added the IP for my machine to the 5 ports for MSN - my machine being the routers I.P but with a .3 suffix to it.

However, msn/adium, still don't work. I tried disabling the firewall on the router and it still doesn't work.

i checked online, and it appears that the mac version of MSN may use different ports?

Can anyone advise me how to get MSN/Adium to work through this router please!

Reaction score
Hi

I recently swapped my wired router for a belkin 54g wireless router, the internet itself works fine, however the router seams to be blocking all access from any of my IM apps like MSN (v7.01) and Adium. Skype seams to work, however.

I assume, that the router is blocking the ports so i logged into the router through firefox using its I.P address, and under firewall (which is enabled) there is a "virtual servers" page, where it has the ports for MSN built in, so i added the IP for my machine to the 5 ports for MSN - my machine being the routers I.P but with a .3 suffix to it.

However, msn/adium, still don't work. I tried disabling the firewall on the router and it still doesn't work.

i checked online, and it appears that the mac version of MSN may use different ports?

Can anyone advise me how to get MSN/Adium to work through this router please!

Interesting - I have the same problem, also with a Belkin router. Messenger on my Macbook works fine at home, but when connected to my work belkin WiFi router Messenger won't sign in. The router has no blocked ports and the stranger thing is that if I boot my mac into Windows Messenger works fine - its only when running under OSX that the problem exists :Grimmace:

Looks like some strange fault with this router.

Reaction score
Check the upnp setting under system settings in router

MSN messenger didnt show up until I enabled upnp devices under System Settings (router UI). I'm not sure if it's related but worth checking.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.