how to make bigger bootcamp partion

Reaction score
hi there i only set my bootcamp partion to be 32GB i would like to give my bootcamp partion more space but i dont what to have to unstall windows to do it so how would i go about giving more space to that partion on my mac

thank you

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You don't have to uninstall Windows and redo everything. Use the free software provided by Paragon Software called "CampTune". Download CampTune from here. CampTune can non destructively increase or decrease your Boot Camp partition.

Caution note! Be sure to backup your system first.

As an alternative to CampTune, you might want to use "WinClone" instead. A bit more work than CampTune.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
thank you for your help i made an back up with WinClone but it only gives your bootcamp drive the same amount of space as it had when you made the back up no matter how big you make the bootcamp partion

thank you for your help off to try CampTune

OP
M
Reaction score
just an heads up do i run camptune in windows or mac ? seems to have an lot of exe files

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can not run CampTune in OS X or Windows. You must create the bootable CD first, boot your Mac with the CD and then adjust the BC partition. (read the documentation that comes with the program) That's why a backup of the entire hard drive should be done first. Also take note that CampTune is a pre-release version.

Not sure I understand why WinClone didn't work for you. It does require reinstalling the image. The only problem that can occur with WinClone is if you try to reinstall the Windows image to a smaller partition that does not have enough room. Otherwise it should work as intended.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
with winclone i fist make an back up in my windows install on bootcamp

i then used boot camp assignment to delete the boot camp partion i then make it the new size i wanted

i then used winclone to restore the iamge i mad but when i got in to windows via bootcamp it still says the hardive is the same as before ? and i got 7Gb left

have i done something wrong ?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
First off, let's clarify the difference and intents of these two very different programs.

WinClone is a product designed to backup your existing Boot Camp partition. While it can be used to port the data from a Boot Camp partition over to a new drive or new partition, that's not its primary intent.

If you want to take this route, you'll backup your Boot Camp partition to an external drive. Then, remove your Boot Camp partition (using the Boot Camp Assistant). Create a new Boot Camp partition (again, using Boot Camp Assistant) to the new size you want it to be. Then use WinClone to restore the image to that new partition.

CampTune is designed to non-destructively resize an existing Boot Camp partition.

In order to use it, you must first use Disk Utility in Mac OS X to resize your Macintosh HD partition to allow adequate free space to resize the Boot Camp partition. Once that's done, burn CampTune to a disc, using the included directions. Boot your Mac from the disc by holding 'C' down immediately after turning the machine on and then follow the instructions to resize the partition.

--

In either case, it is imperative that you do a FULL system backup any time you make a major change to the filesystem on your machine. There is always a very real possibility of something going wrong, resulting in catastrophic data loss.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.