Does anyone know how to connect Windows 7 to Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.8G C2D, MacBook 2.0G C2D, Mac Mini 1.83G CD, iPhone 3GS 16G
I just installed Windows 7 using Boot Camp on my MacBook. It runs ok and has no problem of joining my home wifi network. I also have an iMac which can see Windows 7 on the network and can also get connected and access into the user folder. But on Windows 7, I can't see my iMac and no lucky to find it at all. Does anyone have any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Hi, welcome to the forums.

You need to enable file sharing on your iMac for your Windows machine to see and access your machine:

1) Open /Applications/System Preferences and select the Sharing preferences pane.

2) Click the FileSharing check box to enable this feature.

3) Add any folder and the users you want to allow access in the Shared Folders section at the bottom.

4) Click the Options button. You will be presented with three options for sharing AFP,FTP and SMB. Click the SMB option and then click 'Done'.

5)Close the System Preferences and try and connect to your iMac.

Depending on your security settings, you may want to temporarily disable your Windows firewall (and any other virus/malware software) until you are sure you can connect and everything is working properly. Once you have verified that all is well, you can turn your security settings back on.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.8G C2D, MacBook 2.0G C2D, Mac Mini 1.83G CD, iPhone 3GS 16G
Hi wmprice1240,

Thanks for your warm welcome and advice, which really helps. Much appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.