Time Capsule Network problem

Reaction score
Hello all,

Hope someone can help me with this ..

Background:

My ISP was BT Corporate (my company paid for my broadband). I was provided with a ZyXel router some years ago now - which worked fine for what I needed. I then made the switch to Mac and bought an iMac, AppleTV and recently a Time Capsule.

So basically, everything connects to my home network through the Time Capsule network including Nintendo Wii, DSi and iPhone. Life was good .. :)

I have had to switch ISP (company no longer paying the bill .. boo hiss) and went with Virgin Media. They arrived a couple of days ago to install the setup which is now what appears to just be a cable modem.

What I have done, is to plug the ethernet cable coming from the modem into the WAN port of the Time Capsule and expected all the devices I listed to work as normal. Except that they don't !

Every device "sees" the network but nothing will connect to the internet - except for the iMac. I could probably understand this more if nothing worked, but am completely stumped by this.

One thing I did notice was when I looked at my AppleTV trouble-shooting section in the manual was that it said if I had an IP Address that started with 169.x.x.x then something was not configured properly. The Time Capsule also has an address starting 169.x.x.x as does my iPhone.

Some info on the settings etc: Using DHCP, have WPA2 set (I also created my network all over again without security but that made no difference at all). The router address starts 80.4.192.1 according to the TCP/IP settings on the Network preferences.

Any ideas as to what is wrong with the setup ???

Cheers,
DazJ

fov

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.8 15" & Sony Vaio running Ubuntu 9.04
Which device is the dhcp server?
What is the dhcp scope being given out?
Is the DNS and default gw being given out and are they correct?

I bet the xDSL router used to be the dhcp server but now nothing has replaced it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.