A Question about Renaming Folders

Reaction score
You were all so helpful with my last question, I thought I would try again. ;D

Ok, I made a new folder which I then put inside another already-named folder The other folder was called Art. I successfully dragged the jpgs {samples downloaded from Dover books} which I wanted to store inside the new folder and then noticed I had failed to rename the new folder. I could find no way to rename the new folder in situ so I dragged it out of the Art folder onto the desktop where I successfully renamed it Dover Samples and then dragged it back into the Art folder.

So, my question. Is there an easier way to rename a new folder inside another folder?

Patricia

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Control-Click the folder to be changed. Select Get Info. Midway down the window that appears is text field labeled Name & Extensions. You can change the name here.

or...

Open the parent folder (the folder containing the folder to be changed) with Finder. Single click on the folder that you want to change to highlight it. Pause and then single click on it again--Click directly on the name of the folder. The name should highlight in a text box which you can type over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Did the usual method (click and press Return) not work? What happened when you tried it?

OP
P
Reaction score
Did the usual method (click and press Return) not work? What happened when you tried it?
It didn't work because I didn't know to do this! {I am the only Mac owner in the house and I tend to try-this-and-try-that before looking for the correct answer!}:Smirk:

Patricia

OP
P
Reaction score
You were all so helpful with my last question, I thought I would try again. ;D

So, my question. Is there an easier way to rename a new folder inside another folder?

Patricia

And, once again the readers on this forum have been very helpful. Thank you all very much!

Patricia
{who knew there was simple answer to the question!}:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
An even simpler way to rename a folder would be to click on it once to select it then wait a couple seconds and click the name once to open the text bar to edit the name. The reason for the couple second pause is so that the clicks won't register as a double click and open the folder. Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.