Flashdrives n such.

Reaction score
Ok so question I was getting really frustrated with my MB today, I have a Patriot 64gb flash drive, I normally would just copy files to my mac from my pc as I have yet to setup some kind of network share, My question is I was trying to copy some data off my macbook to my flashdrive and it will not let me. I got really mad and was like what the............ So I right clicked on it and selected Get Info it says down at the bottom permissions and it says Read Only, I am not sure if this flash drive is formatted in NTFS or not but would that have anything to do with why I cant copy any kind of file from my MB to it??

Thanks guys for all yalls help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
I noticed this too with my external. It wouldn't let me put any files from my MBP on to it or take any files off of it to my MBP. I think it's a format issue. It didn't bother me much though since I'm dedicated to the switch and like having nothing to do with Windows. I just reformatted it to my Mac. Good luck and I too am anxious to see an answer to this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
#2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo # 2GB DDR3 memory # 250GB hard drive1
Looks like the flash drive is NTFS. So to fix the issue you can install Macfuse on the MBP. This will solve the problem.

Root Cause:
Mac can read NTFS but cannot write, but it can read/write to a FAT32 system.
You can either format the flash to FAT32 or use the macfuse.

--NRC

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
64 GB flash drive? Very likely formatted to NTFS and since you can't write to NTFS without a third party driver, you get read permissions only. Are you using Snow Leopard? If you are, SL can read\write to NTFS but it is not turned on by default. You have to turn it on. You can turn it on with a free application "ntfsMounter" download from here.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
64 GB flash drive? Very likely formatted to NTFS and since you can't write to NTFS without a third party driver, you get read permissions only. Are you using Snow Leopard? If you are, SL can read\write to NTFS but it is not turned on by default. You have to turn it on. You can turn it on with a free application "ntfsMounter" download from here.

Regards.

For it to work, do you have to have ntfsMounter running when you want to access the drive in question? Or once it runs does it change settings and not have to be run again?

OP
LogicBox
Reaction score
Guys thanks for the respones Im ganna check this out and see what I can do with these programs which one would be better ntfsMounter or the Macfuse?
Thanks Again

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
"ntfsMounter" info text file follows:

Disclaimer
----------
NTFS Mounter is a simple utility designed to mount NTFS volumes in
read/write mode. Although not officially supported, Snow Leopard is now
able to mount NTFS volumes with both read and write support. NTFS
Mounter simply uses this ability, and provides a simple user interface
to the mount command for NTFS volumes.

Therefore, we recommand you backup all your data before using this
program, and cannot be held responsible for any data loss, system crash
and/or hard drive failure.

Installation
------------
Simply move the application icon to the application folder. Final setup will
be completed at first launch of the application.

Usage
-----
On first start, Mac OS will ask you for the administrator password. This
will allow NTFS Mounter to mount your NTFS volumes.

An icon will be added to your status menu. Clicking this icon will search
for connected NTFS volumes. To mount a volume, you must first be sure the
volume was ejected and then click on its name in the menu.

End of read me text file.

You can achieve the same result by using the terminal command hint posted earlier by cwa. That particular hint was taken from the "Mac OS X Hints Forum" Link

You'll need to do a search once you access the hints (there a lots of them to sort through).

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey I was looking on the apple site what about this? apple link

Paragon NTFS 7.X including the update for Snow Leopard is a bit buggy. I have it and had to remove it. Paragon is working on the problem and should have a fix soon. Use the ntfsMounter application in the meantime or even NTFS 3G.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.