Time capsule question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 MB Air, M1
I'm using TC as my backup for my iMac. Now that it's set up, can I remove the ethernet connection? When I do remove it, my status light goes from green to amber.

I was thinking that TC was wireless, but maybe I'm wrong here.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You need to open Airport Utilities found in your Applications / Utilities folder and create a wireless network.

Open it up, highlight your Time Capsule on the left, click on continue - it pretty much walks you right through it. Post back if you get stuck.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 MB Air, M1
I have it set up that way already. Should I reset?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
??

Better explain what it is you're doing exactly. I am confused now.

If you already created a wireless network using Airport Utitlity, why is there the question of:
"I was thinking that TC was wireless, but maybe I'm wrong here."
?? So you already have created a wireless network with a network name and password?

Have you attempted to log into that network from your iMac?

I "assume" the TC is plugged into your modem for internet access and you are only disconnecting the cable between the TC and your iMac, correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Yes, the time capsule should be plugged into the modem, but you don't have to plug it into the computer all the time.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 MB Air, M1
OK, let me explain better. I bought the TC primarily for backup of my iMac. The TC DOES connect, wirelessly to the internet. I can connect to the internet without being physically connected to the TC. However, Time Machine will not work without the TC being connnected, via ethernet, to my Mac. And, when I unplug the TC, its status light flashes amber.

Granted, this isn't a huge problem, but I'd like to get rid of the ethernet cable if I don't need it.

As far as logging on to the network, the Mac fires up and finds the office's wireless network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.