using old iPhone 2G as an iPod Touch

Reaction score
After I purchased an iPhone 3G, had all my old info transferred to the new phone. I then wiped all the info off the old 2G and gave it to my dad to use as an iPod Touch. It synced fine with his iTunes on his PC, and we put his music on it. It worked fine for a while. A month later it will not turn on. Not when plugged into charger, plugged into his PC, by itself, nothing.
I have tried holding down the on button and home button at the same time for 20 seconds. Nothing.
If the battery were dead, wouldn't it still come on when attached to the charging cord?
Is it possible the battery became defective? Not that old, I don't think.
Does he have to take it to Apple for a new battery?
Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If it won't turn on at all then you're looking at a hardware problem. Since this is a first gen iPhone, it's definitely out of warranty. However, it wouldn't hurt to ask Apple and see if they can do anything about it. At the very least they could diagnose the problem, which gives you something to work with (i.e. if it's a dead battery, you could get it replaced for less than how much Apple will charge you via third parties).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.53 Ghz 4gb DDR3 unibody, iPhone 3G 16gb, iPod Touch 16gb
i believe i have the exact same problem

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.