• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

.edu for all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
It was ok for Community colleges and Trade achools to be added, but Beauty colleges?

Somebody who goes six months to a beauty school, I would not consider in the same league as somebody who's even been two years at a community college. There's too much dumbing down already.
-- Ralph Meyer, former Princeton University administrator

-------------------------------
[Source] CNN

Wednesday, February 12, 2003

NEW YORK (AP) -- Beauty, theological and distance-learning schools will be among the educational institutions that will soon share online real estate with the likes of Princeton and Harvard.

The Commerce Department approved the expansion of the ".edu" domain name on Tuesday to allow usage by schools such as the Connecticut Institute of Hair Design and the American Film Institute.

Critics complain the expansion will cheapen the Internet neighborhood for its present occupants -- generally four-year institutions and community colleges.

"Somebody who goes six months to a beauty school, I would not consider in the same league as somebody who's even been two years at a community college," said Ralph Meyer, a retired administrator at Princeton University. "There's too much dumbing down already."

For many years, the ".edu" domain name had been restricted to four-year colleges and universities in the United States.

In 2001, a university technology consortium took over management of the suffix and expanded eligibility to community colleges, which are accredited by the same regional groups as four-year institutions.

The consortium, Educause, then recommended further changes to include schools approved by specialty accreditation organizations recognized by the Department of Education.

Steve Worona, Educause's director of policy, said about 95 percent of the responses during a public comment period were in support of the change. He said the board considered the objections but felt on balance an expansion was warranted.

About 7,500 ".edu" domain names have been assigned to about 6,000 schools. Educause is now compiling lists of newly eligible institutions, and they should be able to obtain names in mid-April.

Mark Gross, chief executive of the National Accrediting Commission of Cosmetology Arts and Sciences, said the expansion should help his member schools gain standing.

"We all do different things, serve different needs of the consumers, but this begins to put all education in the same place, where it belongs," Gross said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
I don't think its a bad thing. I mean, its not as if there is a shortage of .edu names is there?

OP
MacAddikt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
not that theres a shortage, but i can see things coming from this.. like a beauty school trying to sell rights to a school with the same name, and stuff along those lines

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I am confused, isn't a beauty college a school?

:unsure:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Yes, it is. The .edu extension implies to me an educational institution. Does a beauty school give you education?

However I see it may be a problem with name copyrights, but then again no more problem than it is now with plain businesses...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
A beauty college teaches a trade, as in licensed cosmetologist. I see it as a school. Here in California you need a license to be a cosmetologist.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.