iMac frozen during data back up...

Reaction score
I was in the process of backing up my data when my iMac froze with the "spinning wheel of death" not going away. As a result, I cannot properly "eject" the external HD, in order to allow me to attempt to restart the computer (the computer was still in the process of copying some of my movies when it froze). If I simply turn off the HD, will I lose any of the data that I backed up during the session?

Thanks guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
This kind of thing happened to me. I was backing up and right in the middle of it my external slid off the table (landing on a pillow luckily) and came unplugged. The backup stopped and I plugged my HD back in and it continued from where it was. I think if you unplug it and plug it back in after the spinning wheel goes away, it will continue where it was when it froze. Good luck.

Note: I was using Time Machine when this happened. I don't know what app you're using.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.