Office Minis

Reaction score
I'm thinking about dumping my PC's and setting up a Mac Mini peer-peer Ethernet network in my marina office. We're just using the usual small office stuff - printers, a fax, Quickbooks with payroll, Word and Excel, plus barcoding scanner. Seems like this should be well within the capabilities of the Mini's with 4GB ram.

Is there anything that would make this not a good idea?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Not that I can see. I use a Mini for quite a bit more than that and haven't had any issues. My Mini gets rebooted very rarely and is very reliable. If you have more than one Mini, you will probably enjoy the Mac screen sharing capabilities as well.

T

todd51

I think the Mac Mini would be more than capable of running a very small office for your needs. You have to mainly think about the applications your going to run, but it sounds like you have figured most of that out already.

My advice would to also get another Mac and run it as a server to back anything up. Maybe hook up a external drive to perform a backup of the server every night or week. When it comes to dealing with an office, you can never have too many backups.

There isn't much room for upgradability for a Mac Mini besides the ram so you would probably want to take that into consideration also. Although, I think the current Minis could last for quite some time if they are properly taken care of.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.