Uninstall?

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm a relatively new switcher - bought a 13" macbook pro about six weeks ago and I love it! Sooo much better than windows!

I'm getting to grips with things a little now but there's one thing I'm a little confused about - uninstalling things.

I'm wary of installing things I don't need and having them floating around, and, when I was a windows boy, I ended up with loads of things that had been partially uninstalled but not really - I'd really like to avoid this with the mac.

So, I tried out the 'mira' app so I could use the remote with Logic a little better, but wasn't that keen, so I wanted shot of it. I understand that most uninstalls can be done by simply dragging the files to trash and emptying - Being an ex windows user this seems too easy - surely macs aren't this user friendly!!!!

I searched for "mira" in spotlight and nothing comes up but does that really mean everything's gone?

I know there's apps such as "appzapper" but I'd really rather not have to install an app to uninstall another one.

Cheers for any help guys

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You don't need something like AppZapper but it can get rid of all the traces of an app on your machine.

Note that if an app comes with an uninstaller, use it and don't just trash it.

Reaction score
AppCleaner works too. I've never had an app with an uninstaller on Mac OS X though.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
They exist. See each of the three virtualization options for example (Fusion, Parallels and/or VirtualBox).

Reaction score
They exist. See each of the three virtualization options for example (Fusion, Parallels and/or VirtualBox).

O o..... I just "trashed" Parallels ap yesterday. How can I tell if I didnt get rid of it?

Where would the uninstall program be?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
O o..... I just "trashed" Parallels ap yesterday. How can I tell if I didnt get rid of it?

Where would the uninstall program be?

Parallels has all kinds of hooks into the OS for virtual network adapters. You definitely need to use an uninstaller for that one.

The original DMG file should have come with an uninstaller. Re-download Parallels (if you didn't keep the original file) and you should be able to get to the uninstaller once you mount the DMG.

Reaction score
Parallels has all kinds of hooks into the OS for virtual network adapters. You definitely need to use an uninstaller for that one.

The original DMG file should have come with an uninstaller. Re-download Parallels (if you didn't keep the original file) and you should be able to get to the uninstaller once you mount the DMG.

Reinstall complete, thanks. The only way I see an Uninstall option is by clicking the red drive on the desktop. I have been trashing all the different drives that install programs leave on the desktop and just run from the Applications folder. But, if I did that in this case I would not find any uninstall option.

Also, more general, if using an uninstaller is preferable to trash, why would that process be applied across the board. How is a person supposed to know which programs do and which dont?

I'm testing out VMware now - any preference?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Check this doc before you go any farther.

KB Parallels: How to remove Parallels Desktop?

Also, I'd wait to test drive Fusion until version 3.0 comes out on the 20th. The new version adds some amazing features that once again put it heads and tails above Parallels.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.