HELP - PC Modem on old Powerbook 1400

D

darius

Hi there,

I'm attempting to set up an old Powerbook 1400 for a friend, and was going to give him an old 3com U.S. Robotics Model 3056 PCMCIA modem to use with it. Unfortunately, I can't get it set up to work. When I insert the card, it simply recognizes it as a generic PC card, but not as a modem. I know the laptop is okay, as it works with an ethernet PC card. I have the installation CD for the card, but it is for Windows. Is there some way I can use this card in the Powerbook, perhaps with a generic modem script or something?

Thanks,
Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I used to have a PowerBook 1400cs running 8.6, and as I recall, it was very picky about PCMCIA cards. If there are no drivers for Mac on the install media, then it most likely will not work for you. The cards that I found that worked the best for it were made by a company called Global Village. They have since gone out of business, but you can usually find stuff from them on eBay for next to nothing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.