opening Word files

Reaction score
Hey. I got my lovely iMac a week ago, after years as a writer using a PC and exchanging Word files with editors/publishers. For the first week, no problem, people sent Word files, I used Entourage and just clicked open. No problem. Then, after a week, I could not open any files. I got a message that said""uses a file type that is blocked from opening in this version..." what is going on? I have tried saving with a different name, saving as a docx, nothing works. I cannot open these attachments. Please help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How are the Word files being received and what program is being used to send them to you? Reason I ask is that if *.DOC and *.DOCX files are being sent as attachments from MS Outlook, they will not open properly.

You mentioned you were using Entourage to open the Word documents. I assume you have MS Office 2008 installed?

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Why not try iWork 09 - seems to be able to open and export in M$ as well as pdf and rtf etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.