ntfs in snow leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83 GHz intel c2d, 2gb ram, xp and os x.6
am I crazy but it seems like snow leopard can read/write into an ntfs partition. I'm using it as a partition shared with XP.

I'm upgrading from 10.4 to 10.6 (just couldn't pass up the $30 OS) and I used to rely on ntfs-3g. can I trust snow leopard to handle the ntfs partition properly or should I still be using ntfs-3g?

thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
If you did an upgrade (not a clean install), ntfs-3g should still be there. I would guess that this is why you are able to read/write to the partition as I believe SL does not have this capability natively.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's against the Snow Leopard license to upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard with the $30 version. You should be using the boxed version.

Don't use NTFS 3G as it's prone to errors. Download the free NTFS mounter for Snow Leopard here.

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83 GHz intel c2d, 2gb ram, xp and os x.6
If you did an upgrade (not a clean install), ntfs-3g should still be there. I would guess that this is why you are able to read/write to the partition as I believe SL does not have this capability natively.

I did a clean install of snow leopard. ok... so I just realized that I was only reading my ntfs partition and I was read/write -ing to a fat32 shared partition.

thanks for the help. and chscag, thank you for the ntfs mounter suggestion. i'll be relying on that in the future.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.