• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Spying on me

B

BernyPark

My compy (G5 powermac on os x.3) is running really slowly and I think it may be spyware. I was wondering where spyware/adware hides on macs and more importantly how to get rid of it. Thanks for your help

OP
K

Kokopelli

Before we go blaming spyware, perhaps you should watch activity monitor for a while an see where your CPU cycles and memory are going.

1) Open Activity Monitor and go to Memory - How much is free and how much is used? If you are using almost all of your memory or are going to VM identify your top 5 applications in terms of memory usage.

2) Leave activity monitor open and sort by CPU usage. Also change the bottom section to CPU.

3) Continue on your normal usage patterns for a while and see what your average CPU usage looks like. If CPU usage is continually above 60% then see what the top five apps are and whether you can identify each.

Finally as an orthogonal possibility, have you added a large number of Fonts to your system?

OP
B

BernyPark

xthisisRomancex said:
Also when was the last time u repaired your permissions?
What is repairing permissions? I'm assuming I haven't done that in a while since I don't know what that is. LOL

EDIT: Oy, I don't even know what some of these things are. I accidentally quit something, which logged me out, my mouse isn't working and I'm using a LOT of VM. Help. :'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I suggest doing the above, there's not really any spy ware on os x. as it would require installation, so it would ask for an admin password.

OP
B

BernyPark

Macman said:
I suggest doing the above, there's not really any spy ware on os x. as it would require installation, so it would ask for an admin password.

Yes, but what is repairing permissions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
BernyPark said:
My compy (G5 powermac on os x.3) is running really slowly and I think it may be spyware. I was wondering where spyware/adware hides on macs and more importantly how to get rid of it. Thanks for your help

hi

there is no spyware that works on OSX

regards

OP
K

Kokopelli

First reboot. Do not kill any processes in Activity monitor unless you know exactly what the process is. Do not worry about the amount of VM you are using worry more about how much free memory you have.

Onto the (very good) suggestion of repairing permissions. Open Disk Utility, select your hard drive and click on the button that says "Repair Disk Permissions" This will take a while to execute so be patient. I prefer using Yasu to Disk Utility but the effect is the same.

EDIT: Repairing permissions effectively checks your install of OS X and makes sure that the various directories and files needed by OS X have correct settings for who can access them. It has been explained better than this on the forum before but that is what it does in a nutshell.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
BernyPark said:

Maybe the company is spying on you. :spook:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
o, make sure you restart after repairing permissions.

OP
B

BernyPark

Kokopelli said:
First reboot. Do not kill any processes in Activity monitor unless you know exactly what the proicess is. Do not worry about the amount of VM you are using worry more about how much free memory you have.

Onto the (very good) suggestion of repairing permissions. Open Disk Utility, select your hard drive and click on the button that says "Repair Disk Permissions" This will take a while to execute so be patient. I prefer using Yasu to Disk Utility but the effect is the same.

EDIT: Repairing permissions effectively checks your install of OS X and makes sure that the various directories and files needed by OS X have correct settings for who can access them. I has been explained better than this on the forum before but that is what it does in a nutshell.

Oy, neat. Okay thanks a lot. :D

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

this is more than likely the problem.... if not tho do ahead and tell us in this thread and will will try out best to solve ur problem :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.