File Reservation

Reaction score
I have an .xlsx file I am trying to edit. When I open it it says that it is being modified by me, and wants me to open as Read-Only. I do not have it open anywhere on my network and have rebooted my machines but still get the same message. I did a search but could not find anything. Can anyone help me with this? I have recently upgraded to Snow Leopard. Could this be the cause?

Thanks,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The file appears to be an Excel file created with either Office 2008 for the Mac or Office 2007 for Windows. (Using the newer XML format.) Have you tried to right click, get info, and then change permissions on the file? You may have to click on the small lock and enter your admin password.

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
The file has full read/write permissions. The problem is that when I open it, it thinks that it is opened somewhere else by me as well and will not let me alter it.

Reaction score
What kind of network are you on? A private home or a uni/office?

EDIT:

Ok I'll guess home network from the opening post. Try disconnecting totally from the network. What happens then? Also, is your copy of office legit (sorry to ask, but network issues in office often stem from having a pirated copy).

EDIT2:

Wow, I just saw this post was dug up from 2009. I feel stupid.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.