terminal command with password

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new the development in Mac. I need to call a command line as following using C++ with system() function:
"sudo rm /private/var/db/.AccessibilityAPIEnabled"
I'm expecting this line being executed in background, however in my C++ console application, it would prompt for a password, I need to eliminate this step. Is there something like "sudo rm /private/var/db/.AccessibilityAPIEnabled -p MyPassword" in Mac?
Thanks a lot!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
To run a SUDO command without using your password, you can configure SUDO to allow a particular (or all) commands to be run without the password.

So do
sudo visudo
which will take you to a file that controls how SUDO functions. Towards the bottom you'll see something like #
%wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
so you could add something like the following
<username> ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: rm
and it will allow you to do the rm as SUDO without requiring a password.

Note that this means ANY rm you do will no longer require a password, so it might be dangerous..

Regards

OP
V
Reaction score
thanks Raz0rEdge, i tried it, it works. however this might not be a perfect solution to my problem. i'm using a C++ app to call a command as such: "sudo rm /private/var/db/.AccessibilityAPIEnabled". i'm looking for a way to in-build the admin password into the command. i agree with you that adding "<username> ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: rm" would be dangerous, therefore i think this way is not a good approach to my problem. is there a way that i can skip the password prompt only in my app?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.