Macbook to TV

Reaction score
I'm super frustrated. I'm trying to connect my MacBook to a TV.

I have the following things:

Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter

VGA to S-Video/RCA Adapter

VGA Adapter to TV S-Video RCA Out Cable for PC Video

As well as RCA and S-Video cables.

I've been messing around with the Display settings in System Preferences and nothing's worked. I've gotten a signal to the TV but it's gray and there are multiple pictures.

I've tried just about every combination of the above things and I don't know what to do. Is there something else I need? I'm not worried about audio because I have something like this ...but if you know of a way to get that to work with the above things, let me know.

Not sure if this helps but I thought I'd include it anyway:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB51.007D.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.40f2
Serial Number (system): W89167PC8QT
Hardware UUID: 9B619463-731F-558E-87E6-82EB452E78C9
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Thanks for your help,
Robby

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Please use the search button. This question has been answered twice this week that I know of. Check it out 1st and then let us know if you still need help.

OP
R
Reaction score
Sorry, couldn't find it. I found a few that looked like it might relate, but they didn't. If you had a specific one in mind you could link it. If that's too much of a hassle I understand, don't worry.

Thanks though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D (Penryn) 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM
What inputs do you have on your TV?

OP
R
Reaction score
I'm looking for a way to do it just using S-Video and/or the Yellow, Red, White inputs.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You're not going to get S-video or composite from your mini-display port without a video converter.

You'll need the mini-display port to vga adapter and then a vga to video converter.

Found a couple of different postings that indicated this one works and provides decent color on both outputs.

You can check around to see if you can find one at a better price. But read reviews, some of them are putting out a yellowish color through S-video.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.