windows 7 with VMware

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.53, 4gigs RAM, 250hd
How does Windows 7 run with VMware on the mac book pros? I just got my MBP today and installed VMware with XP. It's getting warm while it runs XP. My friends that run XP on bootcamp or parrallels have the same heating problem. What is up with that?

anyway, how does everyone like Win7 on their mac? SHould i just stick with xp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
You'll have to wait for Windows 7 to release October 22nd to find out how it runs ;)

I'm pretty sure the warmth is normal, unless it is too hot. I think the normal temp for an Intel Core 2 Duo processor is 60-70 degrees C (140 - ≈160 degrees F). Too hot would be 100 degrees C (≈ 200 degrees F)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^ i already have a full copy of Windows 7. Yes, it's legit also. For some reason, they sell it at my campus store already.

Is the warmth bad at all for the computer? Where can i read the temp? I'm new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
The warmth should not be harmful unless it gets too hot. iStat Menus has a temperature readout for your system, so you can monitor the temperatures. Your fans should keep the system cool, unless it gets too hot.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, i'm having issues now.

The copy of Windows 7 i have wont install or upgrade my XP. right when i put in the CD, it gives me an error saying that it cannot work with that versions of windows. My thought is that it wont upgrade XP.

The upgrade i have is Windows 7 Ultimate 64. Before i could almost install it in VMware by installing it as a new VM, but it wouldn't let the install finish, saying that i couldn't find any previous versions of windows to upgrade.

I tried running the XP VM and then launching the install in there, but i get that same error.

The guy at the store told me that that upgrade would upgrade any version of windows.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Okay, i'm having issues now.

The copy of Windows 7 i have wont install or upgrade my XP. right when i put in the CD, it gives me an error saying that it cannot work with that versions of windows. My thought is that it wont upgrade XP.

The upgrade i have is Windows 7 Ultimate 64. Before i could almost install it in VMware by installing it as a new VM, but it wouldn't let the install finish, saying that i couldn't find any previous versions of windows to upgrade.

I tried running the XP VM and then launching the install in there, but i get that same error.

The guy at the store told me that that upgrade would upgrade any version of windows.

I just make a new virtual machine and installed windows 7 on that. Delete or keep your existing windows XP partition.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

He obviously didn't check the Microsoft upgrade path table. LINK

Do as Crimson suggested or use Boot Camp.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.