A Few Things I Don't Miss About Windows

Reaction score

McAfee scanning for 2 hours straight every Sunday morning consuming most of my computer's resources.

McAfee almost always downloading (virus signatures?) consuming a lot of my computer's resources.

Windows fanfare: loud noises, songs, beeps, boops, buzzers etc that play everytime Windows thinks it needs to annoy you. I know you are supposed to be able to turn those off but that really does not work.

Windows search function or even Google desktop on Windows.

Using a mouse. It seems so 1980ish.

Using an OS that was obviously written with the programmer in mind as opposed to an OS that was obvioiusly written with the user in mind.

Installing an upgrade that causes other things to stop working. (The marvel of .dll's ?)

Using products from a company whose stock price has not increased in 10 years.

Starting up my computer and then going off to do some chores while the computer slowly comes to life.

Watching the machine struggle with USB: locking up on shutdown/startup, crashing, losing USB hardware, etc etc.

Not trusting the OS to keep my passwords.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
To be fair, OS X is more programmer-y. UNIX is great. It just has a really nice UI over the top. :) Unlike Windoze.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Using a mouse. It seems so 1980ish.

Thanks for the list of things that you don't miss about Windows. To be fair & balanced...what about a list of things you do miss?

No OS is perfect.:(

Thanks,

- Nick

p.s. BTW...if using a mouse is so "1980ish"...what sort of input device would you use if you owned a new Mac-mini, an iMac, or a Mac Pro?

Reaction score
I just picked up my macbook pro, and I just gotta say that this thing just seems so much more responsive than my xp/win7 desktop.

Although I would say my experience with this mbp is better than my xp machine, there is one thing I do miss from it.

I do actually miss having the programs having their own toolbar instead of one universal toolbar like the mac has. Of course, I prolly will get used to the universal toolbar on the mac, but for right now the programs using their own toolbar seems a bit more natural. But, that could just be 15 years of using windows talking XD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
The search function in Windows is definitely lackluster. Spotlight is so much better. And yes, waiting for it to really start after after booting up was annoying. Having preferences and program files scattered all over the place was a pain.

I don't necessarily HATE it, but I really don't miss anything about Windows.

Reaction score
Things I never liked about Windows:

-annoying sounds, Windows XP is the most annoying BY FAR
-Start Menu
-Taskbar
-System Tray
-DLL ****
-USB problems
-iPod driver problems
-Software failing to see Hardware crashes (brings down whole OS)
-viruses not being deleted as easily as thought (though this is more all OS's)
-multiple themes
-UAC in Vista
-Ugly style of XP
-Boring style of Classic
-Windows Media Center (came in handy though)
-Microsoft's Updates that killed certain things
-Cluttered desktop and unimaginative icons
-slow boot ups, slow shut downs, and wake ups from Hib and Slp
-non-universal (Between Windows and Mac OS X) formats, Windows is NOTORIOUS for this (whatever you create on a Mac, should work on Windows, but whatever you create on Windows, doesn't work on Mac!)
-random failures, like failure in connecting to a network harddrive that every other computer on the network can see.
-Internet Explorer
-Desktop and Instant Search
-Sidebar (I like the Dashboard better)
-resource and battery life HOG
-inconsistent hardware (thanks to MS developing for IBM in the beginning!!)
-inconsistent prices of same hardware, store to store
-aging design (Apple redid and occasionally redo's the Mac operating system..Windows is still the same looking- taskbar never changed much, start button never changed much, system tray is still the same, start menu still has the same consistent menu to menu design. ANNOYING.)
-instant virus download from typing in FF and/or IE searchbar, regardless of search provider
-BSoD and "harddrive not found" errors. Grrr..

And I don't care much for games anymore..well sometimes I do play games..but I usually am the geek developing things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I miss the way windows would frustrate me enough to make me walk away from it and do something else !

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the list of things that you don't miss about Windows. To be fair & balanced...what about a list of things you do miss?

No OS is perfect.:(

Thanks,

- Nick

p.s. BTW...if using a mouse is so "1980ish"...what sort of input device would you use if you owned a new Mac-mini, an iMac, or a Mac Pro?

I've only been using my MBP since mid-August (2009) so I've yet to find anything irritating about it. I guess with time that may happen.

My XP Dell notebook sits unused to my left as we speak. There are a couple of applications on it that are intimately tied to hardware and the app is not available for Macs. But there is a benefit to having those on the Dell and not on the Mac.

If there was something I really missed about Windows I guess I'd be using the Dell more. With the help of this forum and Lazarus I've moved most everything else to my Mac.

As far the pointing device issue I guess you're saying it's not a Windows vs OSX question and I agree. But you can't get the MBP trackpad on any Windows machine afaik. And I've found the MBP trackpad to exceed my expectations. I was going to buy a mouse with my MBP but decided to wait and try out the trackpad. Glad I did.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As far the pointing device issue I guess you're saying it's not a Windows vs OSX question and I agree. But you can't get the MBP trackpad on any Windows machine afaik. And I've found the MBP trackpad to exceed my expectations. I was going to buy a mouse with my MBP but decided to wait and try out the trackpad. Glad I did.

I think that when you commented about "Using a mouse. It seems so 1980ish."...

I think that you are living in a "laptop" world. There still are plenty of Mac users using desktop computers such as Mac-mini's, iMac's, and Mac Pro's...I happen be be about 50/50 between a desktop & a laptop for the tasks I do.

So if using a mouse is so 80's...what else are desktop computer users supposed to use?;)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
I think that when you commented about "Using a mouse. It seems so 1980ish."...

I think that you are living in a "laptop" world. There still are plenty of Mac users using desktop computers such as Mac-mini's, iMac's, and Mac Pro's...I happen be be about 50/50 between a desktop & a laptop for the tasks I do.

So if using a mouse is so 80's...what else are desktop computer users supposed to use?;)

- Nick
An MBP?

I see where the new Mighty Mouse will have some of the gesture features of the MBP trackpad so maybe that is your answer.

Also, it seems that a trackpad could be incorporated into a keyboard or made as a peripheral device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
From the sound of the OP, more than half of that isn't Window's fault but more than likely the vendors he bought it from.

What's this about a mouse being 1980's? Is my mac pro able to use something else?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.