HP Personal External Media Drives

Reaction score
So I've been awarded a coupon for an HP product for $300 dollars worth of merchandise and while it was meant for a mini notebook, it is not restricted only to the notebook.

I then have searched around the website for any possible purchases that I'd like to make instead and I came across Hp's Personal Media Drives, which are essentially External Hard Drives for HP computing systems and USB enabled PC's.

First thing I took notice of was that the drives ranging from 250GB to 1 TB, it would say:

"Compatibility: any USB-enabled PC or notebook; HP Pavilion PCs with HP Pocket Media Drive bay; backward-compatible with PCs that have USB 1."

So question one :
Does that mean that, post reformatting, that these drives would be usable on a Macbook Pro 15", Unibody, OS: Snow Leopard?

Also noticed was that the 2TB Personal Drive in the same family, had a different compatibility listing

"Compatibility: Microsoft Windows Me, XP, Vista"

Question two would be:
Would this 2TB drive, also be able to be reformatted for use on a Macbook?

Question three would naturally be , if the previous questions are able to be resolved with a "yes" then, what would I need to properly reformat either of the drives?

I'm hoping for some good and quick answers since that coupon doesn't last forever! Thank you!;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Buy the NetBook. Don't waste your coupon on HP media drives which are no different than any other external drive. (Which you can probably get at a less expensive price than what HP charges for them.)

As to your original question: Yes, both drives can be reformatted for use with Mac OS X.

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thank you for an answer, I was getting worried nobody would even see this post, let alone reply to it.

Getting those harddrives for what is essentially 300 bucks DOES sound ridiculous, but I really have no need for a netbook, though, to have a second laptop that is windows does sound promising.

Either way, thank you again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.