Airport Extreme

Reaction score
Hey all, I just bought an airport extreme today. I also bought a powered USB hub for it.

So far some things are a bit confusing I'm not sure what the issues are or how to correct them.

I have my cable box connected to the APE, my desktop computer (windows PC) connected to the APE hardwire (ethernet).

I set up my network with my macbook using the APE Utility. I'm having some strange issues now, the desktop works fine (hardwire).

I set up 2 networks (Home and Guest) both with WEP.

My macbook connects to the guest network fine, but it wont connect to the home network anymore... it did after I set it up, but restarted the computer and now it will only connect to the guest network.
Any ideas?

I also see 2 other networks I have no idea what they are or why they are here... they are called
"2WIRE917"
and
"2WIRE184"

they show up off and on...

Also I see duplicates of my home and guest network at times...

for instance right now I have a home network and 2 guest networks one with full signal and one with 3/4 bars along with the 2WIRE917 with 1/4 bars.

I am so lost with this...

I did a hard reset once already.

OP
M
Reaction score
Seems to be no problems if I turn off the security settings ;-/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
try it with WPA, better than WEP anyway

OP
M
Reaction score
Same issues with WPA... hm I just dont know here. Did mac resolve the wireless issues they were dealing with a few years ago? I know thats a long shot but I'm at a dead end.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
On the 2Wire networks you are seeing. Those are your neighbors 2Wire DSL modems. Most people who get AT&T DSL and use the 2Wire Modem/Router never change anything and what you are seeing is the stock 2Wire SSID from probably 2 different neighbors of yours.

I have 2-5 here at different times as some shut theirs down when they are done surfing. Just ignore the 2Wire Wifi listings.

On your other issue, Where do you have Guest and Home set up? In the APE? Why have 2? On most routers there is only one SSID and no way to have 2 that I have ever seen on any router I own.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.