Copy Programs to my new Mac?

Reaction score
Hi, everyone! First post here, but am excited to be a part of the community!

I have a question:

I am looking to install a program on my new Macbook Pro. I have previously installed this program to my iMac and was wondering how I could install it to my Macbook without having the "install file".

I'm not extremely smart on all this stuff, but... in theory... if you can delete a program from a Mac by dragging it to the recycle bin, shouldn't you be able to drag it to a flash drive in order to duplicate it on another system?

For instance, if I drag it from "Applications" to a flash drive, then put the flash drive into my other Mac and then drag those files from the flash and into the "Applications" folder of my new mac... will it work?

I may be reaching, ha. I know. But I have no idea where my install cd is for this program and I sort of need it. Thanks a ton! Any and all suggestions welcome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
It depends on the application. Basic applications such as MSN Messenger or Skype do work like that but others don't. The only way to know is to try it :)

Welcome to MF! :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
In most situations that's correct, you can drag around the applications from /Applications in one Mac to another and it should re-create any configuration files that you didn't bother bringing over as well.

Is it not easier to grab the DMG file for the application you wish to install on the new MBP?

Regards

OP
A
Reaction score
I apologize for the incorrect placement.

Hm. What would be an example of programs that won't work that way?

I'm atwork right now, so I can't try it out yet- but will do later, for sure.

OP
A
Reaction score
In most situations that's correct, you can drag around the applications from /Applications in one Mac to another and it should re-create any configuration files that you didn't bother bringing over as well.

Is it not easier to grab the DMG file for the application you wish to install on the new MBP?

Regards

Yeah... I'm a newb and have no clue what you mean, ha. I'm interested in learning, however. I know its like "disk image... something". I guess its used to transfer files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
An example of a program that wouldn't work would be Photoshop. Usually it's the bigger programs that won't work like this.

A .dmg file is basically a container for an application (or anything you choose to put in one). Typically, an application you download will come inside a .dmg (or disk image) and you "mount" it, then drag the application into your Applications folder. In some ways, it's like a virtual disk. Programs that install by dragging into the Applications folder are always transferrable via USB.

OP
A
Reaction score
An example of a program that wouldn't work would be Photoshop. Usually it's the bigger programs that won't work like this.

A .dmg file is basically a container for an application (or anything you choose to put in one). Typically, an application you download will come inside a .dmg (or disk image) and you "mount" it, then drag the application into your Applications folder. In some ways, it's like a virtual disk. Programs that install by dragging into the Applications folder are always transferrable via USB.

Ah.

So, not most larger programs. Which means, while I might be able to transfer MSN Messenger (to use your example), I wouldn't be able to with Office- because its larger. Correct?

EDIT: And, actually- MSN Messenger is in my Office folder, so... maybe the others would work that way as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have successfully done it with Office before, but that was way back in '05. I haven't needed to since then, so I can't give you an accurate answer for that. I wouldn't be surprised if you can though.

OP
A
Reaction score
Awesome. I'll try it out tonight and, hopefully, it works.

Love the icon, btw, ha. Remember the tv show, Flash? That was horrible, ha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks :) I made it almost a year ago, soon after I watch the 1980 movie "Flash Gordon". Very funny...

I'm off to bed... Good luck with your apps! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
It should work. I installed Adobe CS 1 on my MacBook in this manner to serve me until I got to my dad's CS 3 install discs. I grabbed them out of the apps folder on my dead powermac G5's drive. Photoshop at least worked.

OP
A
Reaction score
It should work. I installed Adobe CS 1 on my MacBook in this manner to serve me until I got to my dad's CS 3 install discs. I grabbed them out of the apps folder on my dead powermac G5's drive. Photoshop at least worked.

Excellent, ha. I love my Mac more and more everyday, I swear.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.