Can't see hard drive from remote Mac?

Reaction score
Hoping someone can crack this for me!
I have just set up a G4 as a server for my home network. I have added 2 additional hard drives (ATMT 300G, Empire 400G) and can read/write to those fine. This server is plugged into the back of my sitecom router and connects to the internet fine.
I now wirelessly connect my laptop (Vista Home) and Mac Mini (OS X Leopard) to same router. They both access the internet fine as well.
Next I set up file sharing on the G4, allowing Guest to view the ATMT and Empire drives as well as my public folder.
The hitch is: Only the Vista laptop can see these drives! It can see the 2 drives + public folder. But the Mac Mini can only see the public folders, no sign of the hard drives. I tried logging in as administrator via the mac mini but still can only see the local hard drive and the public folders.

I rather expected the PC connectivity to be the tricky step here ;)
Might it be the way the hard drives are configured? (although that seems odd to me, since the G4 can r/w to them fine....)

Thanks in advance for any clues

kk

OP
T
Reaction score
Bit more digging ... both the hard drives are FAT32. I have a third HD (western Digital 2tb) which is NTFS ... interestingly if i plug that into the G4 via USB and share, both the PC and Mac Mini can see the files (though read-only of course).
I wonder if the problem is the internal mounting of the other 2 drives, or is it the FAT32 format. I feel the need for a screwdriver to find out ... !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.