Imac Rev 8,1 (early 2008) wont sleep after Snow Leopard upgrade

Reaction score
I dont have any canon or hp software, have double checked the screen saver and energy saver settings, but it still won't sleep. I really do not know which processes should or shouldn't be there, but nothing extra has been installed after the upgrade - Any suggestions?

Chscaq - Thx, gave that a try but it hasn't helped. For my machine the procedure is just disconnecting power, removing all usb's etc - Left for 30 mins and still not sleeping.

Further some say that 10.6.1 resolves these issues - I am on 10.6.1 and there are no software updates.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try resetting the System Management Controller (SMC). Take a look at the following Apple KB article to learn how.

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
Chscaq - Thx, gave that a try but it hasn't helped. For my machine the procedure is just disconnecting power, removing all usb's etc - Left for 30 mins and still not sleeping.

Further some say that 10.6.1 resolves these issues - I am on 10.6.1 and there are no software updates.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Run the Activity Monitor app (Utilities -> Activity Monitor.app) and then take a screen shot of it and post it here. We'll see if there may be something running in the background that's preventing your Mac from entering sleep. Hidden processes can sometimes be hard to track down.

You might also take a look at what login items are starting up when you boot to OS X. That may help. System Preferences -> Accounts. Highlight your account name and click on the Login Items tab.

One more place: Navigate to = /Volumes/MacIntosh HD/Library/StartupItems/

and see if there may be some programs or processes that are listed there. Post them here.

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
Hi chscag,

Thank you for the reply.

Ok, have the screenshots you requested. I dont have anything in login items for startup.

Thx much !

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't see anything unusual in Activity Monitor but that doesn't mean there isn't something going on preventing sleep from activating.

Try this: Download the free utility "Smart Sleep" from here and install it. It will install a new preference pane in the "Other" panel. Set the "sleep" function for the second option and see what happens. You can try all three options as a test. It will not harm your machine or cause loss of data.

Post back the results.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2Ghz, C2D, 4Gb Ram, 160Gb HDD. 8Gb Ipod Touch 1G.
I had same problem with my iMac. Have you tried booting in safe mode to eliminate hardware issues?

My machine slept in safe mode so I did a TM backup then reinstalled SL and restored. This worked for me.

Good luck.

OP
N
Reaction score
Hi,

Ok - Archive and install has worked. Was a little extra effort but machine is really fast.

Thx guys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.