Supported resolution in OSX diff. than XP

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a proview PL576Ws 15.4" widescreen connected to my macbook pro.

It supports up to a 1280x800 resolution but only in Windows XP, when I try to get it to display 1280x800 in Mac OSX Leopard it claims "MODE NOT SUPPORTED" and fails to display anything.

I have tried to use the utility SwicthResX in osx but it doesn't seem to work, even though I am staring at in at 1280x800 right now, writing this post.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is the monitor properly detected and identified when in OS X? And does it support both VGA and DVI inputs? Also, it's strange that with SwitchResX you could not display the native resolution of the monitor.

If you're currently using a VGA connection to the monitor, try switching to DVI, and vice - versa. Sometimes that will make a difference. The reason the monitor works at its native resolution in Windows has to do with the video driver. Generally, there is a much wider choice of video drivers and options for Windows than OS X. (Yes there are some things that Windows does better.)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Also try to check to see if there are updated drivers available for the monitor on the manufactures website.

OP
L
Reaction score
The monitor only has VGA input...

I have gone to the proview site, but their support drop down menu doesn't include this model number.
PROVIEW - Support

I think I will probably just have to stick with it this way, which is annoying because the text gets fuzzy every 4 lines or so due to Mac OSX not supporting the correct resolution.

It's not like i'm a mac fanboy, and this issue is annoying enough it might just convince me to stay in windows most of the time.

If there are any more ideas I wouldn't turn them down though. Thanks guys.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Verify the refresh rate is set correctly also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.