Monitor doesn't work for XP

Reaction score
I'm running XP on my macbook pro, and I have it hooked up to a Hanspree HF199H monitor. When I run Mac OSX it's fine, but when I switch over to XP the monitor shows the load up Windows XP logo, and it shows it loading for a minute, than the monitor doesn't work anymore. I have tried different troubleshooting to no avail. I have pretty much no software installed on XP except for AIM. Any ways to fix this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Boot XP to SAFE MODE. (Tap F8 key during the boot process) It should boot OK but it'll probably be somewhat distorted or even fuzzy.

Right click an empty spot on your Windows desktop, select properties, and go to display properties. Make sure you're using the correct resolution and refresh for your monitor (check your manual). Reset them if necessary.

Reboot back to normal mode. If it's still the same, boot to XP safe mode once more. Insert your Leopard disk and reinstall all the Boot Camp drivers again. Hopefully everything will be OK.

Post back and let us know.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Ok, so I've made progress on the problem but it's not fixed yet. The safe mode thing did not work, but when I held down f8 to try safe mode again, I saw an option that said "Enable VGA Mode." I connected my monitor using VGA, so I decided to click that. My monitor then worked, but the resolution was on the lowest setting. When I went to turn in up in Control Panel>Display, it said a restart was required. I restarted, but VGA was not enabled. So I had to reboot again, go to Enable VGA again, but once again the resolution was terrible. I then tried hitting the balloon in the bottom right corner to change the resolution without restarting, but after this the monitor did not work. So I guess my two questions are
1. How do I make it permenantly enable VGA?
2. How do I make the computer have good resolution when VGA is enabled.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you read my first post to you? You're going to need to insert your Leopard Disk to install video drivers so that your monitor will correctly display its native resolution. Any monitor will nominally work with the standard XP VGA driver but as you found out, it looks terrible.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Oh, I have no idea how to do that. I'm in college right now, and my dad set up the snow leapord thing back home. One way I found works is booting up safe mode and increasing the resolution there. Is there any negative side to doing that all the time. (BTW the main use of PC for me is gaming)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't you have your original install disks with you at school? If not, ask someone at home to send them to you or the next time you're home during break, bring them back with you.

Regards.

Reaction score
YOU NEED THE DISK. You might be able to borrow a friend's Snow Leopard install disk to do the drivers.

Cheers

Reaction score
If you are at your windows destop now, right click on a blank space and click PROPERTIES Then click SETTINGS then move the slider and change the screen resolution. Click APPLY then OK. There may be short delay. Good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.