uTorrent shuts down my browsing

Reaction score
Hi, I just moved to a new house and i'm using wireless internet. Whenever i run uTorrent, my browser is so slow it won't even work. Very recently, i've noticed that my direct download speeds are non-existent as well. I tried to download a roughly 200mb file and the file took hours to complete as opposed to a couple of minutes. What can i do? Thank you.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's possible that your ISP throttles torrents. What is your ISP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP
Sounds to me like a couple things, more likely related to your router than your internet connection or your computer.

First of all, of course make sure the appropriate utorrent ports are forwarded to your computer. This is necessary for utorrent to reach full up/down speeds.

Second, set the ip filter maximum ports setting on the router to it's max, should be around 4096. This part is necessary so you can browse and do other online functions while utorrent is open.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP
do what we all do when we don't know how to do something.

google. along with the model of your router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.