eMac upgrade

Reaction score
Im so pleased with my-self, i've upgraded my eMacs hard drive,ram,optical drive and reinstalled os x all with out problem it's the first time i've ever taken apart a mac i've always worked with pc's i'm so happy i managed to do it with out actually braking it :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh you are a clever devil. It is a joy isn't it to undertake upgrades and all goes well.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Good job!

Sounds like you avoided one of the common errors folks make when taking apart an eMac for the first time...which is forgetting to disconnect the wire to the power button before completely removing the rear housing.

Congrats again on the successful upgrades,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Unibody 2.4
Hi there

Can I ask what sort of performance you are getting when using 'Flash' content?

I have just purchased an eMac for my daughter that is identical in spec to yours but for the HD which is the original (I presume) 40 Gig.

It is running Leopard, with all updates to 10.5.8, and everything works really well except flash video and flash games, which are dreadfully slow. It's so disappointing, as it was a birthday present and has replaced a PC!

I'm hoping it's not going to put her off having a mac. My son has a MacBook which plays flash fine, and my MBP does too. The idea was to introduce her to being on a mac with mobileme features etc.

I did download a program called 'YouView' which plays youtube vids perfectly in the H.264 (I think..) format, so I know this computer has the power to play video while streaming it from the web. The interface in that program is quite different from the youtube browser style though, and flash games and such are still a big issue.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

OP
K
Reaction score
flash seems to run fine i'm still running 10.4.11 atm need to get myself a copy of 10.5 soon..I would say it was more luck than skill LOL after putting everything back together i had 6 screws left OPPS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac OS X 10.4.11 1.25GB RAM 40GB original hard drive,
Good for you. I am trying to upgrade my eMac as-well... Did you replace the original hard drive or are you using an external one?

OP
K
Reaction score
i replaced the internal hard drive it's not as hard as it might look PM me you're email address and i can send you the take apart guide witch gives you detaild steps on how to take it aprart.

Reaction score
flash seems to run fine i'm still running 10.4.11 atm need to get myself a copy of 10.5 soon..I would say it was more luck than skill LOL after putting everything back together i had 6 screws left OPPS

That's why I've always liked working on expensive equipment. When you are finished you've got some leftover parts that are worth a lot.:)

OP
K
Reaction score
That's why I've always liked working on expensive equipment. When you are finished you've got some leftover parts that are worth a lot.:)

:D lol i've no idea how i had screws left everything was screwed in heehee

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.