Kind of a weird shortcut? Does it exist?

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm looking to find a shortcut that will toggle between two states of the keyboard shortcut buttons. The option under System Preferences->Keyboard says "Use all F1, F2 etc. keys as standard function keys."
Is it possible for me to custom create a shortcut that will switch between that checkbox being checked and unchecked? Sometime's it's useful to have it one way, other times the other way. Any suggestions?

I don't expect this is possible but whatever...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Probably if you create an automator action to do so and then assign a hotkey to it with quicksilver. I'm not entirely sure on the steps though, as I'm not too familiar with automator... maybe someone else will be able to tell you how to get that part done, and then in Quicksilver it's relatively easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The shortcut is built in. It's the fn key. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ScriptBuilders: fn 1.1

then use quicksilver to kick that off.

Okay, so since you have the first part of the tutortial now thanks to this link from Dysfunction, head on over to this page (don't be afraid that most of it is broken, the direct link doesn't load properly since it's accessed through the main blacktree.com page if you go there and select quicksilver) and download the version appropriate to your OS (10.4+ or 10.6+).

Once you have installed Quicksilver (on top of checking out the many tutorials to see what this great app can do) you'll probably want to do a couple of things... first set it as one of your log-in items so it is always turned on for you. Second, it is a popular choice to have the dock icon hidden as well as the menubar icon. That way it is always there in the background for you, but you don't need to see it, so it seems to be just a function of OS X. To hide these items, simply open the preferences pane and uncheck the corresponding boxes.

To set a trigger, go to triggers, click the plus sign, and tell it what you want it to do... to do this, begin typing the name of the script that you have made in automator (or whatever else you want it to do), hit tab to get to the next pane, begin typing an action (in this case, Open), and on and on until it's completed what you want (in this case it's a simple 2 pane string). Then assign the hotkey you want to activate that script by clicking where it says "triggers" along the right hand side, and then make sure "set-up" is selected in that pane, and hit your hot key.

Then, you're done.

PS if you decide to use quicksilver for other things, the default invoke key is control spacebar. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Come on, that was kind of an awesome solution to your problem...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.