MySQL question

D

Dark Phoenix

How do I determine the database name, username, and password? I installed it but I have no idea what the name username and passwords are. -_-

If the root password is the password for that then thats all I've got...
(trying to install a phpbb board)

OP
V

vtupser

I believe the default database when mySQL is installed is called "mysql" The username is "root" and there shouldnt be a password needed for it. The host should be localhost. You might want to dl a program to help manage it like phpMyAdmin or of the like. That way if you are not good with terminal, you can let it do all the work for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook 1.33 G4, 768 MB RAM, 60GB HD
Indeed, upon installation, mysql makes the db mysql to insert the usernames and password of those who will be usning mysql.

you know, if you have mysql on your computer (I'm guessing it's for home testing etc), as vtupser mentioned, installed phpmyadmin.

extract files to your server
edit config.inc.php

and then when phpmyadmin is working properly, open the "mysql" talbe and fromt here you can insert new users. I suggest duplicating the 'root user' row and editing it to suit your new username and password. You might have to find the resulting encoded password that will result. e.g if your password is 'test', the password stored in mysql will be encoded...it wont appear as "test".

Let us know if you need further help.

OP
D

Dark Phoenix

Thanks for the help but now I have a different problem.
ok I keep messing up and then fixing it myself -_-.
Now I'm getting
#1251 - Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client
everytime I go to the phpmyadmin in my browser
I downloaded navicat and I've looked through the config.inc to find nothing about the client to be inputted.. so how do I fix this?

OP
D

Dark Phoenix

Nevermind!! did it all on my own!! Thanks for teh help guys...
I actually don't feel as dumb as I usually think I am (don't feel smarter though... :()

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.