Switcher questions, sorry can't summarize.

Reaction score
I love spaces and I like how it works, I just don't like that I have to hold down the FN Key + w/e key I set. Is there any way to set spaces to a key like the exposé key works? I don't use the dashboard (i hate it to be truthful, but I hate dashboards/widgets on any OS), can I set spaces to the dashboard key?

I use the mail app that comes with OS X is there any other mail application that beats this in functionality? I don't much care for Thunderbird so that's not really considered an upgrade to me, any others?

Temperatures with F@H is also a concern to me, when running, most temperatures are above 100ºF and the CPU is about 145ºF when the room temperature is around 68-70ºF. Is this a safe operating temperature for my mac to be at all the time, as I leave F@H running when I'm not using my mac.

I have noticed that my mac can be a Wifi hotspot is I so choose, anyone here have any experience using that? I think I could use it to extend the WiFi throughout my house so maybe my game consoles can have more than 1 bar of signal from my router.

I'm might be creating some video tutorials on how to do some coding, anyone have any recommendations on a good screen recorder, I couldn't find one included with OS X (though I wouldn't doubt if I just missed it, it does have a lot of awesome things included).

If there are any coders here, what IDE's do you use, which do you think are the best. I am using TextMate right now, I plan on buying it if I can't fund anything better.

On the note that I code, I plan on creating applications for OS X and possible Linux/Win. I see how easy it is to use Boot Camp to boot into a Win environment, however, I don't see anything on how to boot into Linux. Is my best bet just to do my Linux testing in a virtual machine?

Last question, is there any absolutely amazing software I should know about? Maybe something you couldn't live without on your mac.

I have an iMac 24" if that makes any difference.

I have been using my mac for a week now, and I must say, this is by far the best spent money ever, for me anyways. I love my mac and wonder how I ever used M$ for all those years. I'm now trying to convert anyone I know to a mac user. Productivity on my mac is way above what is was when I used M$.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Spaces: You can switch between active spaces by holding control and pressing 1-however many spaces you have to go to to that space. You can also lock certain apps to certain spaces in system prefs under spaces so you don't have to move them around all the time by hitting fn f8. I'll answer more later... half time is over.

GO PACK GO!

Reaction score
Temperatures with F@H is also a concern to me, when running, most temperatures are above 100ºF and the CPU is about 145ºF when the room temperature is around 68-70ºF. Is this a safe operating temperature for my mac to be at all the time, as I leave F@H running when I'm not using my mac.
High operating temperatures are normal for Macs, and often quite disturbing. I'm not going to lie, it's not good for your computer. However, it's not usually fatal, either. I would suggest, to extend the longevity of your Mac, that you don't use BOINC often. I also built a little stand for my iBook to help the air circulate underneath. You can do things like that and add some dry ice underneath or something. But if it really disturbs you, just stop using F@H so much.

I'm might be creating some video tutorials on how to do some coding, anyone have any recommendations on a good screen recorder, I couldn't find one included with OS X (though I wouldn't doubt if I just missed it, it does have a lot of awesome things included).
I don't know, but if you're working with PHP it might be useful to know that it's already installed.

If there are any coders here, what IDE's do you use, which do you think are the best. I am using TextMate right now, I plan on buying it if I can't fund anything better.
Heh, TextEdit...

On the note that I code, I plan on creating applications for OS X and possible Linux/Win. I see how easy it is to use Boot Camp to boot into a Win environment, however, I don't see anything on how to boot into Linux. Is my best bet just to do my Linux testing in a virtual machine?
Yes. Or partition, if you feel comfortable with it.

Last question, is there any absolutely amazing software I should know about? Maybe something you couldn't live without on your mac.
Firefox. Firefox is extremely useful.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
QuickTime X (default version of QT in Snow Leopard) has screen recording capabilities. Simply go to File > New Screen Recording.

TextMate is pretty solid but there might be better language specific IDEs out there. What language are you writing your programs in?

If you're just testing apps, you might be better to virtualize both Windows and Linux unless your apps have 3D functionality in which case Boot Camp is your only option.

That's a very subjective question and only you will be able to answer that one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I use the mail app that comes with OS X is there any other mail application that beats this in functionality? I don't much care for Thunderbird so that's not really considered an upgrade to me, any others?

Mail is a great app... so... I have no idea.
Your temps are normal, and those are actually pretty low. The CPUs can heat up a but, but that's in the mid 60ºC range, so that's completely fine.

I have noticed that my mac can be a Wifi hotspot is I so choose, anyone here have any experience using that? I think I could use it to extend the WiFi throughout my house so maybe my game consoles can have more than 1 bar of signal from my router.

In QuicktimeX - under "File" select "New Screen Recording"

I'd do ALL your testing in a VM. That way you don't F anything up.

Adium for instant messaging (all clients) is highly customizable, connects to multiple clients simultaneously including AIM, Yahoo, MSN, Jabber, ICQ, facebook, QQ, and other chats
Quicksilver is amazing, but has a lot of features that you won't even touch until years down the road... it takes a while to learn all the amazing things you can do.
iStat Menus/pro for monitoring your system with ease (instead of activity monitor)
some other stuff. There are threads here.

Reaction score

On the note that I code, I plan on creating applications for OS X and possible Linux/Win. I see how easy it is to use Boot Camp to boot into a Win .

Take a look at Lazarus:

http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?action=forum

for cross-platform programming.

I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and am pretty impressed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.