Why Does my 2.2 Ghz Macintosh Laptop Run at 90º Celcius on Idle?

Reaction score
The title explains it all above. The mac is a 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, made back in 2005. Please help! I am afraid of melting the parts inside my laptop!

*Oops, I meant to type Celsius, but had a little typo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
I cant tell you for sure what the problem is but I can suggest cleaning out your fan and checking out smcFanControl 2.2.2 released Hope that helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
dang almost sounds like a heatsink not completely touching the die on the cpu. and at the temp its running at SMC wont help you as the logic board built in has fan controls to automatically put it to full speed at that temperature. Your cpu is good to 110*C but I wouldnt even try to do anything if your idling at that temp. SMC fan control will help to determine if your fans are actually running or not and go from there. Not sure if your fans are running as you did not specify.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Parts won't melt inside your laptop. The machine will hang or shut down before any kind of damage would ever happen.

Most likely you've got a runaway process (check Activity Monitor and sort by CPU) and/or the exhaust vents are clogged with dust.

SMCFanControl shouldn't be necessary, the fans are thermostatically controlled.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Compressed air dude. Sounds like your laptop is old and been building up grime inside. Get that dust out!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.