Can't save to external HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro/ 2.6Ghz Nehalem 4-core/ 6Gb RAM/Snow Leopard
I used my Freecom external hard drive with no problems on Windows. I used it straight out of the box, with no formatting. Since switching to Mac, however, I'm no longer allowed to save files. I keep getting a 'read only' message or a suggestion to make sure the drive isn't 'write-protected' or full (no chance at 500Gb).

Can anyone help please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
is it formatted NTFS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
I used my Freecom external hard drive with no problems on Windows. I used it straight out of the box, with no formatting. Since switching to Mac, however, I'm no longer allowed to save files. I keep getting a 'read only' message or a suggestion to make sure the drive isn't 'write-protected' or full (no chance at 500Gb).

Can anyone help please?

Your external is most likely formatted with the file system known as NFTS. That is a windows filing system, and although OS X can read the files, it is unable to write to it. What you will have to do (if you want to use your mac to write to it), find somewhere to store the files on your external temporarily and format it with either FAT32 (not ideal) or HFS+ (os x filing structure). Until you do this you will be unable to write to that hard drive using your mac.

Sorry bro =/

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Ekim is correct, up to a point.

You can write to NTFS with the addition of either NTFS 3g (free, but can be a pain) or Paragon's NTFS for Mac (not free, but on sale for $20 right now instead of $40... well worth the $20 imho).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That all being said, has anyone actually seen an external drive formatted NTFS out of the box? Everyone I've seen has been FAT32.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your external is most likely formatted with the file system known as NFTS. That is a windows filing system, and although OS X can read the files, it is unable to write to it. What you will have to do (if you want to use your mac to write to it), find somewhere to store the files on your external temporarily and format it with either FAT32 (not ideal) or HFS+ (os x filing structure). Until you do this you will be unable to write to that hard drive using your mac.

Sorry bro =/

Is it formatted NTFS? - Mike

No idea Mike. As I say I used it straight out of the box. I'd heard some discussion about the necessity of formatting with NTFS so my (probably mistaken) understanding was that Freecom sell them unformatted, leaving it to the buyer to do the rest.

Ekim - yes, I suspect you're right.:Not-Amused: Are there any plans for across the board compatibility - you know, being able to write Mac files to NTFS and vice versa?

Thanks for the advice lads. Much appreciated.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Typically not here in the U.S., but there are some formatted NTFS out of the box - particularly some of those marketed as media drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, either issuing a quick mount command in terminal, or looking in disk utility (drive must be connected either way) will let you know..

Code:
mikeMbp:~ mike$ mount
/dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, nobrowse)
map -hosts on /net (autofs, nosuid, automounted, nobrowse)
map auto_home on /home (autofs, automounted, nobrowse)

the first column in the parens indicates the filesystem type

BTW, I don't believe you'll ever see apple support NTFS out of the box, nor Windows support HFS+ out of the box. There are third party apps for both though

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have most files backed up on DVD. If I reformat the external to HFS+ can I then transfer the Window files from DVD to hard disk and be able to write to them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Windows can't read or write HFS+... but both will happily read and write FAT32, which would be (and to be honest is) my choice for external drives (except for time machine and super duper backup purposes).. but yes, you could do that and transfer from your Mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have most files backed up on DVD. If I reformat the external to HFS+ can I then transfer the Window files from DVD to hard disk and be able to write to them?

Yes you'll be able to rip them to your external.. but depending on what file types they are you wont be able to read them without the proper software... for example, if you have .docs saved you wont be able to read them without office 08 or open office.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes you'll be able to rip them to your external.. but depending on what file types they are you wont be able to read them without the proper software... for example, if you have .docs saved you wont be able to read them without office 08 or open office.

Mostly they're text files. I usually save as rich text format (RTF). There are picture files (JPG, GIF etc.) and some video and audio files (Google video, flash, mpg).

I never expected this sort of bother when I first thought about switching. All that interested me was the improved security after three runs on my bank account.

I hear FAT32 is unstable but if it can be used as a bridge between the two OS maybe I should use that instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm curious about the instability comment. I suppose that FAT32 is somewhat less robust than NTFS, but what sort of stability are you concerned about on an external drive? The same can be said about security, while I understand the additional security levels of NTFS, they can all be bypassed quite easily on an external drive ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mostly they're text files. I usually save as rich text format (RTF). There are picture files (JPG, GIF etc.) and some video and audio files (Google video, flash, mpg).

I never expected this sort of bother when I first thought about switching. All that interested me was the improved security after three runs on my bank account.

I hear FAT32 is unstable but if it can be used as a bridge between the two OS maybe I should use that instead.

I wouldnt advise using FAT32.. plus if you have any files >4gb you wont be able to save them. If you're truly worried about interoperability in regards to filing run a virtual NAT server when you're doing file transfers.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm curious about the instability comment. I suppose that FAT32 is somewhat less robust than NTFS, but what sort of stability are you concerned about on an external drive? The same can be said about security, while I understand the additional security levels of NTFS, they can all be bypassed quite easily on an external drive ;)

You understand more than me! I'm a computer boob and a Mac newbie all rolled into one. Indeed really I'm just parroting what I've heard. I dare say most of it comes courtesy of Redmond during the period when they were justifying the switch to NTFS, which is a few years back now. Is there any (free) software available that will allow me to reformat using FAT32? I rather thought the file system would have disappeared from the scene altogether by now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Disk Utility supports FAT32 natively, just like windows still does ;)

Yes, you do lose the ability to transfer individual files >4gb.. how many of those do you have? If that's truly a problem split em... People tend to use external drives to shuttle data between multiple systems. Might as well keep that as easy, and as universal, as possible.

Ekim, one does not always have the ready availability of a network.. and to be honest it's painfully slow to transfer files that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Disk Utility supports FAT32 natively, just like windows still does ;)

Yes, you do lose the ability to transfer individual files >4gb.. how many of those do you have? If that's truly a problem split em... People tend to use external drives to shuttle data between multiple systems. Might as well keep that as easy, and as universal, as possible.

Ekim, one does not always have the ready availability of a network.. and to be honest it's painfully slow to transfer files that way.

You dont need an internet connectionyou can connect via p2p.. Setting up the vm on either machine and connecting directly with an ethernet cable will work just fine..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and USB is still faster and a drive you can carry sneakernet style, is still more convenient.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wouldnt advise using FAT32.. plus if you have any files >4gb you wont be able to save them. If you're truly worried about interoperability in regards to filing run a virtual NAT server when you're doing file transfers.

NAT server? That's way above my head. If I'm to stick with the Mac then when things wrong a temporary return to my Windows machine demands the same access to my files, updating them as I go, while the other machine is being fixed. The more I think of it the more sense FAT32 seems to make, 4Gb limit or no. Anyway only my music folder exceeds 4Gb. I could easily split that if necessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
NAT server? That's way above my head. If I'm to stick with the Mac then when things wrong a temporary return to my Windows machine demands the same access to my files, updating them as I go, while the other machine is being fixed. The more I think of it the more sense FAT32 seems to make, 4Gb limit or no. Anyway only my music folder exceeds 4Gb. I could easily split that if necessary.

Folders can exceed 4gbs just not individual files such as mp3s etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.