RAW -> JPEG + Metadata?

Reaction score
i just took a bunch of pictures monochromatic pics in RAW on my canon rebel xs, but when i import into iphoto, all the pics are colour! what is a safe and easy way to convert all these photos from RAW to JPEG while retaining the metadata? thanks

OP
L
Reaction score
i've tried using lightroom but im a total noob, but it too is rendering the pictures into colour. HOW DO I KEEP THE MONOCHROMATIC?!?!?!?!

itll show the picture how i took it then it goes 'rendering preview' and then the picture looks bland again without the monochromatic + red filter

Reaction score
When you take Monochromatic shots (Black & White) when shooting in RAW, there is a filter in camera that displays them for you in BW. However, they are captured as colour images so you can personally adjust every colour prior to saving a BW version as the end product. I know this as it shocked me also when I first did it on my Nikon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Take them as JPGs or convert them in post?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlackBook 13.3" 2.13ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2gb SDRAM 160gb HD
+2 for Lightroom if you got it. Photoshop will also work but LR is faster... for me anyway.

Convert in post process and shoot in RAW. That gives you total control over the image. You can mimic classic filters like a red 25 or red 29 for extreme contrast or go the opposite way and adjust them to be flatter and gray. You can do the same with color JPEGs but with way less data and tonal range.

In short shot in color and adjust later into b/w.

To save the metadata work on duplicate images. Always "save as" and it'll be there. If using LR you will work from a copy anyway because it's non-destructive unless you save to the original.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
emac + macbook 13"
If you haven't got photoshop or any other image editor except iphoto, do yourself a favour and go out and buy it. Buy photoshop elements. Its quite cheap. If only I knew before what I know about digital images.

I know this doens't relate to your questions but using a good digital editor will advance your photography in light years. Iphoto is good for organising photos but that's about all. Even Bridge (the organiser in photoshop elements is plenty good enough and you wont want to bother with iphoto anymore. Most likely as it can be confusing to use two programs.

When I took some black and white shots I couldn't even get them to import to iphoto at all. I just didnt' get hte shots. Luckily it didn't matter much as I was just learning how to use the camera. As others have said above, shoot colour and convert to b/w in photoshop or even iphoto.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.