• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A Mac virus? Easy to get rid of?

Reaction score
Hi all

Was having the normal mac/windows virus debate when my girlfriend brought up a surprisingly intelligent question;

Once a mac osx has a virus is it easier to get rid of than on Windows XP?

I got thinking about the registry gettin all messed up in windows but didnt know what happens deep in osx.

Any thoughts?

M

meltbanana314

Well, even if a virus theoretically was made for OS X - it would need root access to do significant damage. Root users are disabled by default in OS X - you need to 'sudo' in to change settings and delete files and stuff. The reason why Windows viruses are so destructive are because everybody is a admin by default (but I hear that is finally being fixed in Longhorn.)

I don't imagine a virus for OS X would be too hard to get rid of, but unfortunately it isn't hard to make either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Yes, first thing would be to find a virus for Mac OS X. Currently there are none, nor have there ever been any viruses for OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.