Trying to writing .img file to a Compact Flash

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S
Hi All,

Using a Powerbook and OS X.3.8.

Trying to write the monowall (firewall) image to a Compact Flash card. The example given on their web site is for Freebsd, shown below.

=================================
http://m0n0.ch/wall/installation_generic.php

gzcat generic-pc-xxx.img | dd of=/dev/rad[n] bs=16k

where n = the ad device number of your CF card (check dmesg)
=================================

The Compact Flash card mounts under OS X as
/dev/disk1s1 122M 18K 122M 0% /Volumes/NO NAME

Do you write when the drive is mounted; If so, I always get drive busy error?

gzcat net48xx-1.11.img |dd of=/dev/disk1s1 bs=16k

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong!

Thanks,

Joe

OP
gunnerjoe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S
Disreguard this post, dd did not work as that is a gz compress image.

Ok maybe I just don't understand the gzcat command.

I just did dd if=net48xx-1.11.img of=/dev/disk1s1 bs=16 and it seemed to work. What is the differance in using the gzcat command or doing the dd command I used above?

Thanks,

joe

OP
gunnerjoe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I shouldn't try writing while device is mounted, but /dev/disk1s1 device cannot be found when the device is not mounted. So, how do I tell what the raw device path is on OS X?

Any Thoughts?

Thanks,

Joe

OP
gunnerjoe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi All,

Ok, figured this out. Since so many have viewed this, I'll post the solution.

If you go to /dev directory and do a 'ls' you will see a list of all your devices. The devices I was interested in are the 'raw' devices. While no extra devices are plugged in to my laptop, the only raw devices I see are the ones associated with my hard drive, which is mounted under /dev/disk0s5. RAW disk listed below:
rdisk0
rdisk0s1
rdisk0s2
rdisk0s3
rdisk0s4
rdisk0s5

Now if I plug in some other external drive, such as a Compact Flash card and after the drive mounts under /dev/disk2s1 , re-run that 'ls' command I should see some new "raw" devices.

rdisk2
rdisk2s1

Then while drive is mounted I'll write the image to raw disk, rdisk2s1, (not the mounted disk /dev/disk2s1) as in the example below. Some Unix versions require the drive to be unmounted, but not here.

gzcat net48xx-1.11.img |dd of=/dev/rdisk2s1 bs=16k

Output looks like:
gzcat: net48xx-1.11.img: decompression OK, trailing garbage ignored
0+768 records in
0+768 records out
6291456 bytes transferred in 12.971943 secs (485005 bytes/sec)

I'm surprised one of you Darwin guru's couldn't help with that, I had to ask a Sun Microsystems guru for help; THE SHAME, THE SHAME :(

Later All,

Joe

gunnerjoe said:
Ok, I shouldn't try writing while device is mounted, but /dev/disk1s1 device cannot be found when the device is not mounted. So, how do I tell what the raw device path is on OS X?

Any Thoughts?

Thanks,

Joe

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.