How do I extract a logo from a .pdf?

Reaction score
Hi, graphically-challenged because my designer's out and am in a bind to do something on my own. The goal is this. I have a logo that is only available to me from a .pdf layout. I need to crop it out and make it an independent graphic element for an online(Vistaprint) postcard layout which requires, i think .jpg or .gif.

What I'm trying to do is... A) crop out one line of text in it,
B) make the file transparent and C) make it 'scalable' so i can downsize it into this online layout-maker and keep the original-size resolution when i reduce the size to fit the postcard layout.

The logo is attached. The line that needs to be cropped out is the text with the phone # and website.

So far i've tried manipulating this by using Preview to open it, cropping it out and saving the output as a .jpeg...and then trying to make it transparent in photoshop elements. I thought i had it once but when i tried scaling the output file, it did not retain the original sharpness at reduced size percentage.

That's where i'm stuck at right now. Any ideas much appreciated!

Thanks!!

Mike

View attachment OUTPUTLOGO copy.pdf

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
If you have photoshop elements, open the pdf but before you click ok on the pdf dialog box, change the size...I upped it to 2000 pixels wide then clicked ok. Once it opens, it's transparent and I deleted the line in question using the eraser.

Here:

PS I am also an actor and started doing voiceover in the last couple of years...it's a blast!

View attachment OUTPUTLOGO copy.psd

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I opened the file in Illustrator, and guess what...everything was editable. Who ever made the logo didn't outline the font that they used to make it...so I know type faced they used.

That can become a potential problem if you don't have that font on your computer it's going to try and substitute that typefaces out for another one. The layout will be different because every font has different heights and letter spacing.

The only way to make the file not get rasterized and stay sharp is if you keep it as a vector/smart graphic. Converting it to a gif, jpeg is going to kill it right away.

From the looks of it, the file that ZorroAMG made for you has been rasterized too, albeit it is at a higher resolution.

Invest in Adobe illustrator, if you haven't done so already.

OP
M
Reaction score
awesome folks, much appreciated. and thanks zorro for taking the time to do that... so, crimson, if i wanted to make it "scalable" per se- i.e., be able to
reduce the size without altering resolution/sharpness - it needs to be a
vector/smart graphic. i do have an older version of illustrator on an ancient
os 8.6 machine but not sure if i know my way around it well enough to do something by tomorrow.... any other ideas for how i might do a conversion
to a format that i could upload and do the downsizing to fit into an online layout template?

i really appreciate the help!

thanks!

mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Even though my file is rasterized, it's a big enough resolution for anything web related for sure. You shouldn't have issues shrinking that down.

Best of luck.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
awesome folks, much appreciated. and thanks zorro for taking the time to do that... so, crimson, if i wanted to make it "scalable" per se- i.e., be able to
reduce the size without altering resolution/sharpness - it needs to be a
vector/smart graphic. i do have an older version of illustrator on an ancient
os 8.6 machine but not sure if i know my way around it well enough to do something by tomorrow.... any other ideas for how i might do a conversion
to a format that i could upload and do the downsizing to fit into an online layout template?

i really appreciate the help!

thanks!

mike

Even though my file is rasterized, it's a big enough resolution for anything web related for sure. You shouldn't have issues shrinking that down.

Best of luck.

Like ZorroAMG said..it's big enough so that scaling the image down won't effect the image quality. You will run into issues if you shrink it down and then blow it back up.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks!

Many thanks for taking time to help. Did a reduction of this and seems to work fine. I owe ya one!

Zorro, if you want to chat about the voiceover world feel free to drop me a line anytime : )

Meantime I'll try to learn how to do this on my own and appreciate you giving me some idea of where to start.

Thanks again,

Mike

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.