PDA

View Full Version : B&W then add colour ... GIMP

TattooedMac
09-22-2009, 11:55 PM
Hi all, im just getting into doing some photo editing and i havnt been thru a course at all.
I have looked and tried for a while now to do a certain thing, (not sure of the terminology) and cant seem to find the proper user way.

I have a picture i have converted to B&W and now there are certain items in it i want to bring back to colour. I have sort of played with it and can only seem to ADD a colour and not bring back the original colour, with mixed results as my hand isnt that steady for such fine work.

I am using GIMP ATM and would like to know a easy way of acheiving this.
Have looked for tutorials and lessons, but not knowing the terminology makes it a tad difficult

Cheers

CrimsonRequiem
09-23-2009, 04:09 AM
First off you need to have the photograph in color. Then make a copy of it on a different layer. From there convert one of them into B&W. Layer it so that the B&W is on top, and erase sections of the B&W so that the color shows up underneath.

Doing a layer mask would be kind of the same thing as it's less destructive because you can always go back and paint back what you "erased."

robertsensabaug
09-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Yea. I reccoment what Crimson said. I use GIMP for my image editing as well. I have done this multiple times. That is exactly what I do.

TattooedMac
09-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Thank you muchly all. Ill give this layering a try and see what the outcome is

Cheers