Which audio editing software do you recommend?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been researching which audio-editing software to buy for over a year now, and I still haven't found anything that's "just right" for my needs. Please help.:(

So here's what I need the software to do. I'm a pianist, and I play a REAL piano (not a keyboard). I make recordings of my piano compositions. The problem is, neither my piano nor my recording equipment are very good, so I'm looking for a software that will make the recordings sound more professional. Also (and this is very important), I need something that will allow me to edit mistakes and merge different takes.

For a while I thought Logic was my solution. But I bought a Logic handbook and found that Logic is geared more towards people who want to create midi or digital music. When I asked a Logic user if it was possible to edit a live performance with Logic, he said "yes, but it's difficult. Logic works best when you're working with digital music that has a consistent beat." (Much as I had suspected).

Is there anything on Mac that focuses especially on old-fashioned live recordings? ALSO: it would be great if the software were compatible with Audioease plug-ins.

Thanks SO much. (I'm off to bed now, but I'll read and reply to your responses tomorrow afternoon :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2 x Quad Core Xeon 3.0, 8 Gb RAM, 4TB Storage, 8800 GT
There is nothing that Logic cannot do. With the proper plugins (waves etc.) you will be able to edit your music very succesfully.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo, ProTools HD, Digi 192
There are many many programs out there that will fit your needs but it all comes down to preference, and how deep your pocket is.. how convenient right? I've used a lot of different programs and the only one I've really "settled" completely with is protools. Many people don't like protools because it's a very expensive investment, but if you're looking to get the best editing/recording software - I think that's the way you should go. There's a lot that protools can do in which many people don't know about, you just have to really research it.
There are other ways to go that are a lot cheaper, but if you're really looking to make your recordings sound the best they can, protools is the top of the line software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
...When I asked a Logic user if it was possible to edit a live performance with Logic, he said "yes, but it's difficult. Logic works best when you're working with digital music that has a consistent beat." (Much as I had suspected).

Using a digital means of editing in order to edit a live performance is more difficult than working with a straight up computer-generated tempo.
The same would apply to any software program you use.

However, it can be done and it is done every day by audio professionals.

I record live using Logic and while it does take some getting used to, it is not impossible.
Just use a digital metronome to keep your tempo while you play/record and it will make your editing much easier.

OP
S
Reaction score
There are many many programs out there that will fit your needs but it all comes down to preference, and how deep your pocket is.. how convenient right? I've used a lot of different programs and the only one I've really "settled" completely with is protools. Many people don't like protools because it's a very expensive investment, but if you're looking to get the best editing/recording software - I think that's the way you should go. There's a lot that protools can do in which many people don't know about, you just have to really research it.
There are other ways to go that are a lot cheaper, but if you're really looking to make your recordings sound the best they can, protools is the top of the line software.

Yeah, Protools does look a bit too expensive for me. But thanks for the recommendation.

OP
S
Reaction score
Using a digital means of editing in order to edit a live performance is more difficult than working with a straight up computer-generated tempo.
The same would apply to any software program you use.

However, it can be done and it is done every day by audio professionals.

I record live using Logic and while it does take some getting used to, it is not impossible.
Just use a digital metronome to keep your tempo while you play/record and it will make your editing much easier.

Thanks for the recommendation, but unfortunately the type of music I play is non-metric. It would be impossible to play it with a metronome.

And that's exactly why I don't like Logic. It's so obviously geared towards metric, digital music. And while, yes, you can do the same stuff with live, non-metric, it doesn't seem like that's what the program was really built for, you know? I'm concerned that if I spent all that money on Logic and end up never even using half the stuff in it and would have to get around the default settings in order to do what I wanted to. That's the problem I've had with Garage Band and I HATE it.

Reaction score
If your looking for something reasonable priced and will let you record and edit and do quite a few things to the recording you might consider giving Amadeus Pro a look. A fairly full featured audio recording/editing program that doesn't cost an arm or leg, yet gives good results.

Search - VersionTracker

Reaction score
There's always Cubase. Good Quality bit of kit. It's not cheap mind but it's not ridiculously expensive. But I don't know the in's and out's of it, so I don't know if it would be idea for what you need. But look in to it, you never no it might be OK. :)

Reaction score
Why is it a No to GarageBand? it has plenty of options, and as long as you mic your piano properly, the sound can only be better. there are plenty of plug-ins that you could add to get the sound you want. I have had plenty of success, I use an XLR to USB Mic, and while there is no effects for a "Real Piano Instrument", the effects in the Master Track can level a lot of things out. especially the "Pop Warming" effect... Good luck in your ways

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
To be honest, your recording software is only as good as the mediums used to capture your sound.

Invest in good mics/digital interface to record to a computer. Shure SM57's are great for recording and are about $100 each.

I've used many different pieces of software including Logic, GarageBand, and Cake Walk Pro Audio 9 (on Windows).

Try different ones out, and pick the one that you feel most comfortable with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac pro 2.66 dual core 5 gigs of ram with duel 22" monitors
protools is the way to go. for somewhere around $400 you can get protools LE with a mbox 2 which will allow stereo recording which is always a plus for live piano. and like said before, sm 57's are great for recording.

Reaction score
First I tend to go in with Garageband and set up my basic track. Then I set my metronome up there and fire up Logic and do everything that I find necessary there. Once I think everything's set using Logic, I set it up on Adobe SoundBoard CS4 and do my final editing there before I get to a finished product.

Z

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 GHz eMac w/ superdrive, 1.5GB RAM; 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo MBP
Just like DarkArt said, your software depends on what you're using to capture the sound. SM57s are nice and versatile microphones. Try checking out a matched pair of microphones like the Røde NT5s or the MXL 603s.

Audio interfaces from Edirol and Presonus are very good and last I remembered they weren't too expensive.

For software I'd say go with Logic. Even with Logic Express you can easily edit non-metric music, its just a matter of learning the software. It comes with a nice set of plug-ins (especially the reverbs) and it has a much faster learning curve than Pro Tools LE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Audacity is a really good free software

Audacity is a great audio editor and is especially greta because it's FREE! :D

The very best audio editor I've ever used was Sony's Sound Forge but alas it's only for PC. :(
Even though in the past I've used Audiofile Engineering's Wave Editor and Audio Ease's Snapper, I've started learning and using Flex Time in Logic 9 for editing.

Reaction score
a great track is a great track no matter what DAW you use. I use Logic because it's made for mac and I need to get ideas down not fool with software/hardware issues. Get whatever you feel comfortable with and start creating. If you're a Mac user start out with Garageband, it's right there on your machine so why not use it then move into Logic or whatever. It's really all good!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
actual playing skill will definitely be the determining factory in the difficulty of editing. Logic will work fine. I've recorded bands in a studio with Logic and the hardest part about fixing mistakes was how well a member could keep time. Your music may have different tempos and time changes, but if you have a section that's supposed to keep the same tempo and you're drifting from faster to slower or VV, you're going to end up having a choppy recording when editing if you have to chop parts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.