I can no longer burn DL DVD's on my mac in Windows XP

Reaction score
mydvdburnersettings.png

Last night I successfully burned 2 DL DVD's of data files from Windows XP (and 2 more tonight) when I was booted into OS X - but when I reboot into Windows XP > put disc into E drive, it reads it as a blank disc (I even gave it time to mount itself in the drive - no go). So tonight I installed that Roxio 8 DVD burner software that I have laying around in my office into Windows XP, and tried using it (I used the Drag to Disc) to burn a folder containing these data files onto another blank DL DVD - The burn failed; it said something like "copy was canceled or there was not enough space to copy the files" - I wasted a total of 5 brand new DL DVD's that I brought Friday so far! Pack of 15 DL DVD's.

And a couple of weeks ago I was successfully burning DL DVD's in my mac on my Windows side using burning software that someone on MacForums had found for me - it's Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 Free. All DL DVD burns using it on windows were successful until I d/l and used that Nero Drive Speed, take mac to Genius Bar, they said it was a software problem which they corrected/tested it (on the OS X side), told me to reinstall OS X - archive & install and Windows XP (which I did before doing these burns)

And I'm starting to wonder if the burn in Ashampoo failed b/c Ashampoo has a sieral number that I had to activate it? Only my Windows XP in my mac only has 29 days left to activate and I cannot connect (don't know how to set up my internet connection in windows xp) to the internet from windows to activate - but even if this was accomplished, I'd just waste more DL DVD's trying to burn from Windows XP. This is CraaaaaazzzzY!!!

Please get back to me ASAP - I'm very upset and frustrated

P.S. I don't want to have to have to take my mac back to the Genius Bar as it's in quite a distence from our house, I can't drive, too hard to take a bus/I'm hard of hearing/my mom (she took me with the MBP to the Apple Store at South Hills Village Mall) and she doesn't want to have to keep running back and forth there.

Here's a link to a thread about SuperDrives refusing to burn media on DL DVD's - one person said it did for a short time then conked out on her/him: Apple - Support - Discussions - Superdrive refuses to write Dual Layer ...

My MBP was ordered online from www.apple.com's online store July 8, 2009.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I thought you had all those problems worked out when you went to the Apple store? If you can burn DL disks in OS X, then there is nothing wrong with the drive. The problem it seems is with the drive being recognized as a DL drive in Windows.

Also, Ashampoo Studio 6 Free does not require activation nor will it fail because of the serial number. However, you had better give priority to learning how to get on the internet in Windows so you can activate your copy of XP.

I'm still of the opinion that Nero Drive has somehow altered the way Windows "sees" your drive. There is obviously nothing wrong with the drive since it can burn DL from OS X. One thing you might try and it's kind of drastic... and that is to completely remove Windows XP and reinstall. (Since it's not activated anyway.)

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
I did reinstall Friday night after I got my MBP back - I reinstalled both OS X (archive & install), repartitioned my hard drive and then reinstalled Windows XP. Could you please point me somewhere that would walk me thru setting up my Windows XP internet access on a MBP, how to find my router/wifi settings, etc?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let's take this one step at a time.

First the SuperDrive:

In Windows XP. Open Control Panel, click on System. Now go to hardware devices and open the hardware tree. Go down to where your DVD drive is and highlight the drive. Right click on it and open properties. What does it say about the drive? It should identify it as DL capable. You can do the same thing in Ashampoo Burning studio 6 or your Roxio program. Both should be able to tell you if the drive is DL capable. Post back what it says.

Now for the internet. First make sure you have installed all the Windows drivers from your Leopard DVD or Snow Leopard DVD. (whichever you're using) When Windows is running, just insert the DVD and drivers will be installed automatically.

I have no idea if you're using an ethernet connection or wireless? But in Windows, find the "New Connection Wizard". Double click on it and run the wizard. It will walk you through the setup. It's very easy in Windows, just as easy as it is in OS X. If you're using wireless, you'll have to supply that information to Windows in the wizard. SSID, Password, and so forth.

Take a look here at these instructions: Link

Let us know.

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
My family told me to take windows xp out of my mac, b/c I'm only supposed to use it for editing photos and comic book creation with Comic Life Deluxe, not playing games on. So I complied and removed windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.