how do i network a PC and Pbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stock 17" 2.8ghz unibody mbp.
can someone kindly give me the instructions or direct me where to find information on how to network a pc and a powerbook?

thanx

Reaction score
Just like networking any 2 computers, you can either get a hub/switch then plug both the PC and PB into that using regular Cat5 cable. It is also possible to just get a Cat5 crossover cable, then plug one end into the PB the other into the PC. For what purpose do you need them networked?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
As I already stated in an other thread, PowerBooks (and PowerMacs) have autosensing Ethernet ports, and don't need crossover cables to connect to a PC or other computer.

Reaction score
Avalon said:
As I already stated in an other thread, PowerBooks (and PowerMacs) have autosensing Ethernet ports, and don't need crossover cables to connect to a PC or other computer.
sweet, is it all Powerbooks and Powermacs or just the more recent ones?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
mynameis said:
sweet, is it all Powerbooks and Powermacs or just the more recent ones?

All PowerMacs since the G4 Gigabit Ethernet and PowerBooks since the 15" Titanium Gigabit Ethernet. All other Macs (e/iMac, iBook, Mac mini) have only 10/100Mbit Ethernet, and their ports are not auto-sensing.

After doing some research, I have to do a little correction: 12" PowerBooks don't have Gigabit Ethernet, and are NOT auto-sensing...but 15" and 17" are.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stock 17" 2.8ghz unibody mbp.
i need to do file transfers from my pc to my mac - transfer my mp3s.. dont want to bother with burning cds

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
pkny said:
i need to do file transfers from my pc to my mac - transfer my mp3s.. dont want to bother with burning cds

Ethernet or Firewire connection is what you need...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.