Optical Drive speed

Reaction score
I just bought a spanking new Mac Pro. Installed a completely separate HD to dedicate for an XP Pro installation (via Boot Camp). I also installed a Mad Dog DVDRW 16x in the secondary spot. I'm not in Fusion or Parallel - just a straight Windows boot up.

I'm now running into the issue that media (audio and video) will not rip and burn at maximum speed. Everything is now taking twice the time over my old PC. Movies take 40 minutes instead of 20 minutes to rip, and regardless of which application I choose, I can only burn out (audio, video, or data) at 8x. These issues happen regardless which optical drive I use.

As far as I can tell, XP has picked-up the latest drivers for both optical burners. Please help as I am totally out of my element when it comes to stuff like this.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The type of media you're using controls the speed at which data can be burned at. For example: A CDRW will burn at 4X even though the drive may be capable of burning at 32X. Software detects the media and then sets the burning speed. DVDRW media is notoriously slow burning at only around 2.5X.

Regards.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hmmm... I'm using the same media (Memorex 16x, DVD+R and DVD-R), on the Mad Dog drive when that combination was in my Windows PC.

Would the media also affect the speed at which audio and video are being ripped to the computer? The audio and video are commercially produced stuff.

What brand of DVDs and CDRs are y'all using out there that get the fastest speeds?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.